Serial Data - FTV ME Runtime

gatorfanjosh

I have a computer running a Factory Talk ME Runtime application that i would like to import data from a wireless gauge that emulates a COM port on the PC. Is there a way to read the data from that com port into the ME application. Currently i am doing something similar with Wonderware and a DDE Wedge.

Well, you could use the UCON server from Kepware or the Genie from Matrikon to expose the data via OPC.

Pretty sure there's plenty of other similar software packages.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Are you running FactoryTalk View ME on a Windows workstation, or on a PanelView Plus terminal ?

There are plenty of "keyboard wedge" programs on the market, both free and paid. I really like TALTech's WinWedge, just because of its very long history.

But those generally work only when you have the focus on a numeric input object.

To accept data from a serial device into FTView ME tags, you would generally have to run the Kepware UCON driver, which is also available on the PV+ terminals.

I am running the ME station software on a windows PC. WinWedge is what i am using with WonderWare right now but am trying to go away from that and use Panelview as more of a standard.

When you say Kepware Ucon does that come with the Kepware Enterprise software that is included in FTV Studio?

Does anyone have any sources of samples/tutorials how to set it up? I Found this link but it doesnt go into details about setting up the Kepware itself.

https://www.kepware.com/getattachment/10d18426-f398-4b54-b9d5-7b7fefcd06f1/FactoryTalk_View_Connectivity_Guide.pdf

Kepware

I got kepware Universal driver to get my data into my Panelview and also into my processor, so that is all happy.

My questions is about Kepware licensing now. Do i need to buy the 9301-OPCSRVENE 1 time for my development system or does every system i run this on need a license for it?

≈$2500 per system seem expensive so im hoping i only need it for my development system.