Terminal Strip Labeling

Rson

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone uses for terminal strip labels?

We have an old Roland DXY-1150 plotter with ACS (Murrplastik) software that has gone on the fritz. Looking to replace it - and I have a quote for the new murplastik system.

Before pulling the trigger, I want to see what other alternatives there are. Anything anyone loves / hates? What do you do? Buy pre-made? Use a pen?

Thanks in advance!

I prefer labeling panels and not just terminals. It gives much more flexibility, but does require very good planning.

i believe youve posted this before and mentioned how you have your local printer make a sticker for the entire backpanel.

I just wanted to come in here and say :geek::geek::geek:

but thats gotta be a mother if you ever have to change anything once its printed.

also, i use a brady label maker with 3/8's wide tape to printer terminal strip labels out on.

Archie does an absolutely beautiful job.
I can't be bothered. All of my terminal strips are numbered 1 through whatever, with the plastic inserts that snap onto the terminals.
It's up to who ever is working on the panel to actually look at the prints.

I prefer labeling panels and not just terminals. It gives much more flexibility, but does require very good planning.

I like the idea.

It just doesn't seem very practical in my case. I can't tell you how many times customers change their mind and I have to add terminals, relays, etc.

What do you do with additions?

i believe youve posted this before and mentioned how you have your local printer make a sticker for the entire backpanel.

I just wanted to come in here and say :geek::geek::geek:

but thats gotta be a mother if you ever have to change anything once its printed.

also, i use a brady label maker with 3/8's wide tape to printer terminal strip labels out on.

When you say 3/8 wide tape - are you referring to individual labels spaced 3/8" apart?

If you use continuous tape, how do you cut them out? Doesn't that take a long time?

When you say 3/8 wide tape - are you referring to individual labels spaced 3/8" apart?

If you use continuous tape, how do you cut them out? Doesn't that take a long time?

continuous tape. normally the terminal blocks are sequential in groups of numbers. so say 50-70 would be in one area of the panel so you wouldnt be doing much cutting. just setting the label printer up to print in that fashion and you get a strip of sequential numbers.

if the numbers arent sequential then yes, theres cutting involved and its tedious

Yes, I have posted pictures of some other panels done using this technique. This most recent picture is a small panel that was just installed a couple weeks ago.

As I mentioned it does take some very careful planning. For most it's not practical for one off jobs because they tend to be the ones that change after installing. The real pay off comes when duplicating panels because it saves a lot of time in component layout and labeling.

Since the majority of the panels built at my shop go to places far away and sometimes to places that do not have much, if any, maintenance, a big advantage for me comes when helping remotely troubleshoot. I can send an annotated drawing showing exactly where to touch a meter's probes and practically anyone at any skill level can do the task to tell me what I need to know to help troubleshoot.

Archie does an absolutely beautiful job.
Thanks Bob! Making panel layouts is one part of my work where I do get a lot of satisfaction when I see the panel after it's finished being built.

Last edited:
We use the Phoenix Contact Thermomark Printers and associated software. It's really easy to use. Printers accommodate a number of label sizes. We have two printers, one for terminal labels for wiring and one for 'hard card' labels that typically go on terminal blocks. I've used their support before with no issue. The software will print from a start address to a finish address and fill in the middle for you with whatever convention you pick as far as format.