Automation Direct DL06

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am looking for some opinions about Automation Direct's DL06 PLC or, if someone thinks it is a better choice, information about another brand or model.

I have an application where I need about 12 24VDC digital inputs, 12 relay outputs, 2 analog inputs (one 4-20 mA, the other 0-10VDC), 1 analog output (0-10VDC), and 4 high-speed counter inputs (for 2 quadrature encoders - max 500 pulses per sec).

My preference would be to find a single block PLC so I can stay away from additional modules, if possible.

Obviously I want to find the lowest cost and highest reliability possible.

I have really just begun my search, but the DL06 PLC (D0-06DR) with two option cards for my analog requirements (an F0-2AD2DA-2 for the 0-10VDC devices and an F0-04AD-1 for the 4-20 mA) seems like a pretty good choice. According to the on-line price list, this system costs $443US.

I am currently planning to integrate this with a Mitsubishi E610 touchscreen but am not necessarily locked into this particular unit. In any event, I need to be able to have both my laptop and the touchscreen communicating with the PLC at the same time. It looks like the DL06 can handle this.

The real problem for me is that I have almost no history with the Automation Direct equipment and absolutely none with the DL06 line.

Is there anything I am overlooking? Any thoughts or recommendations anyone would like to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

You had mentioned requiring 2 quadrature inputs. The DL06 offers one quadrature input. In reviewing their catalog, the DL06 does not offer a counter module, similar to the DL205.

You would probably need to go up to the DL205 series. In doing so, your price will increase to the $1000 range, utilizing their H2CTRIO counter module that can do two quadratures and F24AD2DA analog module, in addition to the other modules you will require.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Stephen Luft

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I did say 2 quad. inputs and, after looking a little harder, I also found that information (finally).

What I really need from these inputs is to monitor 2 encoders. I am only interested in monitoring the A and B signals to determine direction and distance. I have no interest in any of the other available signals (A-not, B-not, Z, or Z-not).

Since the PLC is actually doing the counting, does anyone know if I can configure the system to recognize two high speed inputs for this without having to configure the systems for quadrature input?

Thanks again,
Steve

Thanks for that link.

I was under the understanding that these manuals were not available on-line.

I will look into this and let you know what I come up with.

Steve

AutomationDirect PLC's

Hey Steve,

I'm a heavy Koyo (AutomationDirect PLC's) user, their quality and price are a really hard to beat.

The 06 would be a really good fit for your application except for the double encoder spec.

Take a look at the 205 for your application -

Base, 9 slot .......... D2-09-1 .....$140.00??? (Couldn't find price)
CPU ................... D2-260 .......$299.00
High speed module ..... H2-CTRIO .....$269.00*
16 pt DC in module .... D2-16ND3-2 ...$ 78.00
12 pt relay out module D2-12TR ......$ 89.00
4-20 analog in module . F2-04AD-1 ....$197.00
0-10 analog in module . F2-04AD-2 ....$217.00
0-10 analog out module F2-02DA-2 ....$155.00

If you can go 4-20 input and output all the way around, they have a 4 ch in/2 out module for $279.00.

* (will support 2 Quad's @100kHz)

OK. That's cool.

Now, I do have another system where I will only be using one (1) encoder so it looks like I can use the DL06 for it and then the 205 for the one with the two (2) encoders.

Next Question: If I develop the program for one PLC (the DLO6, for instance) can I transfer it directly to the 205 without any major issues?

Steve

I guess it's how you define "major". The I/O numbering and the availble memory registers differ slightly from one model to the other, so that may require a few changes. The software has a great search and replace function, though, so that shouldn't be a problem. The logic and the software and the program structure should all copy over no problem.

For the most part, yes.

You will need to change some config's and maybe a few instructions, though they share around 99% of the same ones.

Another option is to use two PLC's and join them "Peer to Peer".
Just a thought...

Tom - I definitely do not consider that to be major. I figure (without doing any research yet to verify the assumption) that if I start with the DL06 (smaller memory, fewer available registers) and then transfer to the 205, it should be pretty straight forward. I also intend to map my register usage carefully and in advance so that I can prevent too much waisted space and quicker update times on my touchscreen.

paradym - that is what I was hoping (99% or more). As far as joining the two PLC's: I work for an OEM making stand-alone machines. The boss has asked me to come up with a very inexpensive (but cool looking) control scheme for a machine with comparatively limited functionality with respect to our "standard" offering. I already have a very cool touchscreen and PLC system using a GE Fanuc 90-30 and a Mitsubishi E910. I hope to develop a MUCH less expensive solution doing it this way.

Steve

PLC

Trying looking at the Unitronics V280 touchscreen unit,it should meet all your requirements List $899.00. Have a nice day !!!!

While it does look like it will handle the majority of the system I have laid out, I am not certain it will handle the 2 quad. encoders. I have emailed the Unitronics for clarification on this.

Thanks for the lead.

Steve

Two 05's at $109.00 each can be connected through the PLC ports and communicate / work as one unit.

Since each 05 unit can support a Quad encoder, you will have 16 inputs / 12 outputs total and able to support two analog modules.

Also AutomationDirect has some nice 6" touchscreens for $739.00

CLICKY HERE

I bet you can buy all the componets for a system using AutomationDirect / Koyo products that can be almost half as much using another brand.

Last edited:
Mickey - I just received a reply from Unitronics and yes, they say, the V280 can handle two quardature encoders. This looks like an interesting solution since the screen is built in. How is the programming software to use? Is it pretty intuitive or is there a bit of a learning curve?

Paradym - I catch your drift now. I never considered using two units in the same machine like that (old thinking, dontcha know). I had already set my sights on the 6" touchscreen you mentioned.

Thanks,
Steve