Logix Designer - AOI to check comms status?

rupej

Anyone have any luck making an AOI that checks the comms status of an Ethernet device? I have an AOI for VFD control that I use, and I always have to make a separate section of code to check if the drive is online, usually using a GSV instruction pointed to the module itself.

I'm playing around with putting the GSV instruction in the VFD AOI directly, but it seems that the name of the VFD itself needs to be of the data type of the VFD created by the AOP- "AB:powerFlex525V_EENET_Drive:I:0" for me, while the GSV value needs to be of the type "Module." So this forces the user have to have two inputs into the AOI for the same VFD tag, essentially.

I was curious if anyone else has tried this and if they were able to figure out a better solution.

Anyone have any luck making an AOI that checks the comms status of an Ethernet device? I have an AOI for VFD control that I use, and I always have to make a separate section of code to check if the drive is online, usually using a GSV instruction pointed to the module itself.

I'm playing around with putting the GSV instruction in the VFD AOI directly, but it seems that the name of the VFD itself needs to be of the data type of the VFD created by the AOP- "AB:powerFlex525V_EENET_Drive:I:0" for me, while the GSV value needs to be of the type "Module." So this forces the user have to have two inputs into the AOI for the same VFD tag, essentially.

I was curious if anyone else has tried this and if they were able to figure out a better solution.

Hi Rupej.

Yes this has been discussed before; in summary if you are using v24+ then you can pass the data type 'MODULE' directly into your AOI (thus doing everything). If you are using anything less than v24 then unfortunatley you do have to complete the GSV outside hen pass in the entry status.

I do have the 2 versions of AOI...I will upload next time im at my computer.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=118476

Regards

Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel, that's a helpful link. I'd also love to see your examples when you get a minute.

I've been able to use the 'MODULE' data type to get the GSV instruction to work, but I haven't been able to use it to extract drive parameters. For example, if I try to include a (Name of Module Parameter):I.Ready bit in my logic, I get an error that the referenced tag is undefined.