Studio 5000 for 5550 and 5561 CPUs

jakeh56

I am sure that this is stupid question, but I could not find another post that answers this. In our lab we had new hard drives installed in all of our computers. We have educational license through Rockwell and our only option to download was Studio 5000. Rockwell told us they no longer support RSLogix 5000 (enterprise). We have 50 (v13), 61(v19) and 81(v32) CPUs in our lab.

My question is how do I use Studio 5000 for our 5550, and 5561 CPUs? The only option in Studio is 70s and 80s. Thanks for the help.

"RSLogix 5000" was the name of the software up through version 20. Starting with Version 21, the software was renamed to Studio 5000.

As mentioned above, you can still access older versions from the Rockwell website. I see versions 32 down to version 10 and then version 7 is also available.

Rockwell probably isn't supporting those older versions, but they still make the software available.

OG

Thank you both for your quick reply, but when I spoke to a Rep, I think that our educational license only allows us to use one version. I might have to upgrade our licence, but Studio 5000 can only program 70 and 80s then (down to version 21)? Thanks.

Your license should not be version specific. That is unusual, at least to me. And if it was, you were using three versions before, just use those same three versions. If you were compliant before then nothing changes.

Where you may run in to issues is with the actual license file (activation). The older software (v13) used a different scheme for managing your activation. Perhaps others here can speak to success/failure with FactoryTalk Activation with version 13.

OG

From Windows you'll need to open RSLogix 5000, do NOT open Studio 5000. From there you will have the option to create the L1 (5550) or the L61 (5561) controller projects.

Your activation should work regardless of the version listed. Despite having one activation installed, you should have the ability to open any version of Logix/Studio 5000 installed.

My recommendation is to download and install Studio 5000 V32, then work backwards. Download and install v20 (Thats the last version to support L61) and then download and install v13 (That's the last version to support the L1 (5550)). What this will do is install the baseline pieces like FactoryTalk Activation Manager and the services platform once.

Edited to add: I use the FactoryTalk Activation Manager activation scheme and I can use V13 with no issues.

My situation is a little different because of the educational license. I was able to utilize an older DVD that one of our faculty had to download the older RSLogix 5000. Thanks everyone.