You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 8th, 2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Ron6259
Supporting Member
United States

Allen Bradley PanelView firmware update question.

Hello,

I have several SLC-500 based systems. The user interfaces are PanelView 2711-TC1 touchscreens with firmware revision 3. I purchased a Refurbished PanelView 2711-TC1 to replace a touchscreen that stop working. I have bought used touchscreens that work fine in the past. This touchscreen has firmware revision 2.

The 2711-TC1 touchscreens are connected to 1747 scanner modules. Whenever I select SLC-500 1747-SN in communications options in the panel view software it upgrades the PanelView application to require revision 3 firmware.

How can I upgrade the firmware in the PanelView to revision 3? I did not find the information on rockwellautomation.com website for updating the firmware for these screens.

Iíve have replaced some 2711-TC1 touchscreens with C-more touchscreens. I purchased the refurbished PanelView 2711-TC1 touchscreen to avoid modifying the PLC program at this time.

Thanks
Old April 8th, 2021, 01:12 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Hi Ron, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

A bit of exposition for our readers: 2711-TC1 is the first-generation PanelView terminal, called a "PanelView Classic" or "PanelView 1200". They were built by Intecolor in British Columbia and had DOS-era character based graphics objects on a CRT.

To answer your direct question: the only practical solution is to buy a used terminal with a later firmware installed.

I think field upgrades via serial *.BIN file download were only possible on the Series F and G models with firmware 5.x, starting in 1997 or so.
Old April 9th, 2021, 01:09 AM   #3
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
Hi Ron, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

A bit of exposition for our readers: 2711-TC1 is the first-generation PanelView terminal, called a "PanelView Classic" or "PanelView 1200". They were built by Intecolor in British Columbia and had DOS-era character based graphics objects on a CRT.

To answer your direct question: the only practical solution is to buy a used terminal with a later firmware installed.

I think field upgrades via serial *.BIN file download were only possible on the Series F and G models with firmware 5.x, starting in 1997 or so.
Ken

Are these different from the Panelview 1200 E? How so?

BTW thanks for posting this. I love learning the history and more about the older gear because in the field you come across it more than some may think these days.
Old April 9th, 2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Operaghost
United States

The "E" (for enhanced) terminals were different. They used different software and had some additional features. If I recall you could upgrade a PV Classic to a PV "E". They also offered a PV1400E terminal and I think a PV1000E came later. I think they came from the same vendor as the Classic. I actually got to visit with them once as I think they had a hand in the old ControlView software and we went there (Vancouver area) to discuss...something. I don't remember anymore. Another case of CRS.

I didn't have much experience with the "E" models so I can't speak to their exact capabilities but I do recall them having trending which the Classic did not.

OG
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum