LCD vs LED

Charbel

dear,

from performance point of view, which one you think it is better to recommend (not taking into account the price)
to use LCD screens or LED screens?

I believe that LED screens are suitable for SCADA control room, thank you for your feedback.

Charbel

Dear,

please see attached comparison sheet by the contractor, I don't find it accurate, please advise, appreciate your feedback.

thank you,

Charbel

LCDvsLED.JPG

Some low-end operator panels use LCD maybe, but I assume that Charbel means computer monitor screens, since it is for "SCADA control room".

I think you are confused, LED refers to the back lighting technology, the panels are still LCD:

https://blog.bestbuy.ca/computers-laptops-tablets/monitors/difference-lcd-led-monitors

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/led-vs-lcd-tvs/

The link to the document above in the OP's post appears to detail LCD vs LED matrix so dated around 1980 i would expect !

Last edited:
No "LCD" = Liquid Crystal Display.
There is a backlight, whcih may or may not consist of an LED illuminator.
The liquid crystals partially blocks the backlight to produce the desired color.

"LED" when denominating a computer monitor means that all pixels consists of individual LEDs.

edit: What I wrote above actually pertains to "OLED" rather than "LED".

LCD screens have less contrast and, and since the backlighting is always on 100%, are way less energy efficient than LED screens. And since energy efficiency is super important with all these battery powered devices, LCDs are now obsolete.

The only place where LCDs are still used widely, are in car dashboards. When the sunlight hits an LCD display, it may still be readable because the liquid crystalls then reflects the sunlight (which may produce an inverted visibility (dakrk/light instead of light/dark). An LED in direct sunlight becomes much less readable.

edit:
What I wrote above is an exageration. LED displays are still used lots of places.

Last edited:
I have refrased the above, as the technology I described is called OLED.

And since the OP specifically mentions LCD and LED and large monitors, what you described is actually correct in this context.

To my defence, OLED is certainly the way things are going.

No "LCD" = Liquid Crystal Display.
There is a backlight, whcih may or may not consist of an LED illuminator.
The liquid crystals partially blocks the backlight to produce the desired color.

"LED" when denominating a computer monitor means that all pixels consists of individual LEDs.

edit: These descriptions for TV screens you linked to definitely do not fit the computer screens of today.

LCD screens have less contrast and, and since the backlighting is always on 100%, are way less energy efficient than LED screens. And since energy efficiency is super important with all these battery powered devices, LCDs are now obsolete.

The only place where LCDs are still used widely, are in car dashboards. When the sunlight hits an LCD display, it may still be readable because the liquid crystalls then reflects the sunlight (which may produce an inverted visibility (dakrk/light instead of light/dark). An LED in direct sunlight becomes much less readable.

Nope, sorry, its the back light that's LED, LCD is still the panel that produces the image, you are thinking about OLED.

November 2017 recent enough for you ?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/led-vs-lcd-tvs/

I have refrased the above, as the technology I described is called OLED.

And since the OP specifically mentions LCD and LED and large monitors, what you described is actually correct in this context.

To my defence, OLED is certainly the way things are going.

Sneaky edit while i was typing !

To the OP, buy any modern Monitor/TV and it will be more than suitable for the requirements you detail.

2017, that is sow much like last year.
I would suggest not to by a tv, get them a monitor, cheaper and they can't watch tv

Last edited: