Human presence detection

Nortech

Hello all,

I am looking at an application where I need to monitor human presence. I want to make sure the person is sitting at the workstation but I cannot use the seat to mount a sensor.

I want to make sure it is very accurate as it is monitoring for EHS data. I don't want any false reading from the chair or any other object moving past.

Ideally it would detect a person as soon as they sit down at the workstation and switch off as soon as they get up.

I have looked at various ultra sonic and temperature monitoring infrared sensors but all seem to be low voltage PCB type. I am looking for 24vdc analog or digital sensors to feed back to a PLC. The must be robust.

I also want to monitor the operators movements. For example, if they happen to be working on a certain side of the workstation (withing a 200mm range approx) then I would like to receive feedback to this effect.

Has anyone seen or used anything that might match my application?

Thank you.

Would pressure sensitive safety mats work???

That's my thought also. Safety mats could be used in different "zones". I'm guessing that you can get mats with different pressure trigger levels correct? You'd need to have the mat not havea false positive if just the empty chair is on the mat.

What about area laser scanners? I believe you can teach multiple zones, but you may only get “zone breach” rather than “zone 1 breach”. AB and Keyence have some. SICK may too. I know Keyence makes some small ones.