OT: Configurable Identity Objects in EtherNet/IP

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I discovered today that the Hilscher NT100 network gateways give you full control over the values that are used for the EtherNet/IP CIP Identity Object.

The defaults identify the device as a Hilscher network gateway, with the correct Vendor ID and Device Type and Device Code. It defaults to indicating version 1.1 firmware, so you have to type in those values.

But there's also a plain-text Device Name string, which by default describes the device to anything that queries the Identity object as a "Generic Module".

You can put in whatever you want:

Four_Horsemen_Devices.PNG

That reminds me of the time I set such an Attribute in a bunch of flow meters in an Effluent Plant to the 4 Beatles 1st names: John, Paul, George and Ringo and parts of their Song Titles - Taxman, Walrus, Helter, Strawberry, Help! The Project Engineer wasn't to enamored when he saw them listed on my laptop. So the next day I told him I had them changed. He came to have a look and I now had them all changed to Rolling Stones references. He could not see the funny side. What a stiff!

As you know, under the DeviceNet specification, CIP devices are required to provide an Identity Object. Within that Identity Object there are Mandatory Instance Attributes and Optional Instance Attributes...

Optional Identity Object Instance Attributes -

- State
- Configuration Consistency Value
- Heartbeat Interval
- Active Language
- Supported Language List
- International Product Name
- Semaphore
- Assigned_Name
- Assigned_Description
- Geographic_Location

- Modbus Identity Info
- Protection Mode

The 3 Optional Attributes highlighted are intended to be editable by the End User so as to identify the device within an application. It would normally be one of these Optional Attributes they would have provided and that you are editing for those names.

Mandatory Identity Object Instance Attributes -

- Vendor ID
- Device Type
- Product Code
- Revision
- Status
- Serial Number
- Product Name

In particular, the Attributes highlighted are assigned by the ODVA/Vendor to clearly distinguish and identify the Vendor and product type to the End User. These Attributes are (should?) not normally be editable by the End User.

Ken Roach said:
...the Hilscher NT100 network gateways give you full control over the values that are used for the EtherNet/IP CIP Identity Object...

Are you saying though that they are all editable on this particular device, Ken?

The CIP specification only states which Attributes must be included in the Identity Object and which may be optionally included. It does not, however, specify how the Object data is actually implemented. But I would have thought it prudent for any Vendor to not make such Vendor specific Attributes editable by the End User? I would have thought in particular that the ODVA would not take too kindly to End Users changing a device's Vendor ID; something they try to control quite tightly, as you know.

Of course we can all "play around" with EDS files as well, but many don't even go there, I'm sure.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hilscher puts their NetX products into so many other manufacturer's products that it makes sense that they would make everything editable.

To my mild surprise, the Hilscher configuration tool also showed me all the JVL servo motors on my network during device discovery... because of course there's a NetX chip inside the JVL network interface module.

Ken Roach said:
Hilscher puts their NetX products into so many other manufacturer's products that it makes sense that they would make everything editable...

Ah yes. That would make it make more sense alright. I'm not that familiar with "Hilscher" and their vendor/brand/product/device/logo/3rd party incorporated/who wants some of this?/...product outlay.

When "sorting out third party compatibility problems with networked devices that all get blamed on Allen Bradley" was my full time job, I was always very relieved when I heard there would be a Hilscher or HMS chip or daughtercard embedded into the device.

At least that meant I had a chance that the firmware was based on stable code !

Hilscher puts their NetX products into so many other manufacturer's products that it makes sense that they would make everything editable.

To my mild surprise, the Hilscher configuration tool also showed me all the JVL servo motors on my network during device discovery... because of course there's a NetX chip inside the JVL network interface module.

Lantronix has a similar device discovery tool that finds all kinds of devices on my network.