1756 ENBT error

PhillD69

Hi
I am using a 1756-L71 control logix CPU with a 1756 ENBT Ethernet IP card to connect to a third party Ethernet TCP/IP server. Using the message read and write commend in the ENBT port diagnostics I can see that packets of data are being sent and received but the message command times out on an error processing connection related service. I'm wondering if there is an issue with protocol compatability but I am finding it difficult to find any information. Any help would be apprieciated

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

to connect to a third party Ethernet TCP/IP server.

What exactly is this device or software ? Is it advertised to read and write to the ControlLogix ?

What data are you trying to exchange between the systems, and why ?

If this is a "generic TCP/IP" device that doesn't support the Rockwell CIP application protocol for reading and writing objects and tags in the ControlLogix, and you're trying to do a "raw socket" implementation so that you can send "generic data over TCP/IP", then you'll need the 1756-EN2T module instead of the 1756-ENBT.

The 1756-ENBT does not support "open socket" services, so you would get a connection failure when you try to send a socket-opening message to it. The old 1756-EWEB supported those services, and the modern 1756-EN2T, -EN2TR, -EN3T, -EN3TR (and the current CompactLogix platforms) support the socket services.