Online Controllogix via Ethernet

djpalaz

hello All,

I'm trying to go online with a controllogix PLC via an ethernet module. I keep on getting the attached error message. I know i'm connected to the module since i'm able to ping it and I set the IP address for the module. I'm connected via a wireless hub.

What is the error message?

How are you trying to go online? What software? What configuration?

"RSlinx setup with an ethernet driver" what does this mean, how do i check this. Im using RSLogix5000. I used BOOTCP-DHCP Server to create the IP address for ethernet module.

Last edited:
Common Procedures

RSLogix 5000 has an "Online Path" associated with the project file that specifies which RSLinx driver, which networks, and which controllers slot number is used to communicate with the controller. There is an RSWho browse button directly adjacent to the Online Path field that allows you to "browse" to the controller.

pathbar.GIF

This Path Bar is visible by default. If it is not, turn it on from the main menu by selecting View -> Toolbars and checking Path Bar.

You must have configured an Ethernet driver in RSLinx to be able to browse to your controller.

Logix5000 needs to know the correct comm path in order to find the actual equipment that is associated with the project.

As it says, use RSWho under 'communications' in RSLogix5000 to browse to the PLC Ethernet module. Once you find it it should go online. If, when you fire up RSWho there is NO Ethernet driver configured you'll have to go into RSLinx and set one up. All you need to do that is the PLC IP address and use 'configure drivers'.

Try that and see if it helps.

Since you are evidently "diving in" as a new user, I very strongly recommend getting the Logix 5000 Controllers Quick Start manual, Publication 1756-QS001.

In fact, have a look through the Rockwell Automation Integrated Architecture Recommended Literature Guide, Publication IASIMP-RM001. Get some hardcopies from your RA distributor.

open up rslinx and click on the communications tab select configure drivers click on the down arrow then select ethernet divices then click add new then o.k. then enter your ip address then add new then o.k.