PIC driver comm problems

Waleye

I know this topic has probably been posted before, but would like to see if anyone has any ideas on how to resole this issue besides buying an expensive pcmk card. As I bought this stuff at an auction, and are using it to learn AB, I don't want to sink big bucks into it.

My problem is that I'm trying to connect to a SLC 500, using the PIC driver in RSlogix.(Ver 2.1) Some times it does connect, but most often will not. I am using a Dell Insiron 7500, running WIN98. The lap top has serial port.

I've tried all the suggestions from AB's troubleshooting site. None of these has worked. any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Do a SEARCH on this site (button is at the top of screen) for PIC. Ther are lots of threads available. Try downloading the latest version of RSLinx, ver. 2.40 or close to that from rockwell' website and then install it. Try removing the comm port with Device Manager then reboot and let Windows re-install the comm port. I hope this helps.

Sid

Rs-linx and PIC

I have seen this problem in the past, but everytime there was another
driver also in the Rs-linx file... If I remember right, we always had
to either remove the other driver, or turn it off...
We also had this problem when we had one version of Panel builder
loaded,,, had to unload everything, and reload the Rs logix first,
then Rs linx, and then panel builder...
I know this sounds weird, but If rs-linx is loaded, and then rs-logix,
the system will sometimes not work, but I have never had a problem
where RS-logix is loaded first... If I remember correctly, this was
a common problem with one version of RS-linx.
We had the same problem using Rs-logix 5000 for control logix
You might also look at the setting of your serial port, and also
check if your mouse is possibly using the same port or interupt.

Viking

Some weirdness in software has to do with the sequence of installation, but not the stability of the PIC driver.

RSLinx 2.1 had a cruddy PIC driver. Get RSLinx 2.31, 2.40, or 2.41. The Lite versions are free from the Rockwell update site.

Next, turn off the power management features both in the Inspiron's BIOS and in Windows 98. If you have Win98 Second Edition, so much the better.

If you use PIC and DF1 simultaneously a lot, invest in a cheap USB/RS232 adapter and use that for DF1, leaving the built-in serial port for the PIC driver.