Studio 5000 - CompactLogix

DMByars

I am trying to figure out the best way to get a moving average for an automated machining cell with cycle times of a couple of minutes for each cycle.

Also, if possible to disregard times where the cycle was abnormally long due to operator intervention; tool changes, first article, etc.

Thanks

You can create an array and have a pointer that points to each array and store cycle time there. If you know what your average cycle time should be, you can have a GRT instruction and say if your cycle time is Greater than what you expect, then don't store this into the array. Then take an average of all numbers in the array to get your moving average.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I worked on a program for a framing machine--built frames for trucks. This attached zipped routine is a time average for a tool cycle, what we called "bullpin to bullpin" on the fixture. I believe there are provisions for a faulted cycle or a delay of some sort. I just exported the routine and zipped it (forum rules) Hope this helps and LMK if you need help with it or can't open it. Best of luck

I assume there is one measurement sampled per cycle, and the moving average is over several (N+F) cycles, with the measurement for some (F) cycles filtered out, so after some startup time, there are always N measurements in the moving average.

I would think a timer that is reset and starts with the cycle, e.g. a one-shot of
Code:
XIC CYCLE_DONE   XIO TIMER.DN   ONS ...
should be adequate for the filtering. So

• If a (normal) cycle completes while the timer is still running, then [XIO TIMER.DN] will be true and the one-shot will trigger adding the value to the moving average instruction/process*.
  • If a (by-the-operator-delayed) cycle completes after the timer has expired, then the [XIO TIMER.DN] will prevent a rising edge from assigning a 1 to the one-shot, so no value would be added to the moving average.
One thing to mention is that the delay of the [time of the mean or median of the samples] from the [latest moving average from those samples] will depend on the filtering history, so if the moving average is used for anything besides reporting and trending, e.g. if it is used for control, that will affect the process e.g. a PID with the moving average as its PV might be porly-tuned for highly filtered data.

* I imagine The Google will find any number of open-source moving average AOIs and/or examples.