RSLogix 5000 v20 version question

Note, I have NO experience with RSLogix products. Never done anything beyond installing the software for others. Please forgive me for my absolute ignorance here.

At work, we have RSLogix 5000 Studio (v20.01.00) and it has caused some concern with one user in particular. It crashed with a fatal error after opening a project file. I believe we have the issue resolved by right-clicking the binary file and selecting to run as administrator (we only had to do this once and the issue should be resolved forever, as per my reading online).

A second resolution (I'm trying to cover all bases here, and have a "next step" solution in the works) which was proposed elsewhere, was to install v20.05.00, however the one user in particular is stating he can't use that version as it will not match the firmware in the PLC.

I wasn't aware minor revision changes (like going to v20.05.00) was not feasible for a project which is already up and running and in production, but this one user is insisting that to change to v20.05.00 will require at least a day of downtime of the production machines so he can upgrade the firmware in the PLCs to make them compatible with v20.05.00, and I guess my question is...

...is the user right in his assertion that we cannot install v20.05.00 in lieu of v20.01.00 and have everything just work? Or, as I had initially believed, can we install v20.05.00 in place of his v20.01.00 and everything will be okay as-is?

It seems to me that v20 is v20 and would be v20, and I would be okay with being wrong on this belief. I just would like clarification from an external source, as I suspect this user might be incorrect.

I appreciate any input, and I look forward to hearing responses from others with a ton more knowledge than myself on this matter.

RSLogix 5000 v20.05 will work with any revision of v20.x firmware

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Your understanding is correct. RSLogix 5000 version 20.05 will work correctly with all ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers with any sub-revision of v20 firmware.

But your colleague's confusion and concern is very understandable, because there was a sub-revision conflict related to v20.

Ordinarily, minor revisions or software and firmware are not relevant. But Rockwell went through a security-related firmware update during v20 which made the v20.00 and v20.01 sub-revisions of RSLogix 5000 incompatible with firmware 20.03 / RSLogix 20.03 (the "signed" firmware version).

You can read about the v20.03 "Product Resiliency Release" in the Knowledgebase:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/720913/loc/en_US#__highlight

I appreciate every bit of your clarification, more than you could possibly know.

I came here ready and willing to hear I was 100% wrong, however it is even better to hear that while I am correct, my user's confusion and concern is also absolutely justifiable. This means, of course, in the event the currently-deployed "fix" does not hold up, we have a feasible, alternate course of action.

If you were local to me, I'd buy you a beer...

Thank you, sir!!!

I also found the release notes for v20.05 to be off-putting, including phrases like:
1756 and 1794 classic profiles upgraded to Add-On Profiles
The Add On Profile (AOP) library shipped with version 20.05 updates many 1756 and 1794 I/O device profiles from Classic Profiles to AOPs. These updated Profiles affect all installed Logix Designer and RSLogix 5000 versions on the workstation. Do not share project .ACD files with these updated 1756 and 1794 I/O device profiles with workstations that have installed an earlier versions of the AOP Bundle. For proper compatibility, make sure all workstations are using version 20.05 when sharing ACD projects with these updated Profiles.
and

When installing version 20.05 of RSLogix 5000, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 is installed automatically. However, .NET Framework 4.6 can cause these issues:

• When previous versions of the software are installed after version 20.05, 24.02, 28.03, 30.00, and later, .NET Framework 4.6 may cause installation to fail for these earlier versions of the software.
  • When installed on 32-bit Windows operating systems, .NET Framework 4.6 causes versions 23.00.00 and earlier of the software to fail on startup.
I haven't gone there yet.

Mike,

Not gonna lie, I'm really hoping we can dodge 20.05.00 at work. I appreciate the heads up though! Sounds like things have the potential to get real stupid, really quickly...

I suggest upgrading from 20.01, as it did have problems that 20.04 and 20.05 corrected. V20.03 also had its own problems.

Let everyone know that upgrading from 20.01, or 20.03 for future thread readers, to 20.04/20.05 does not cause any downtime. It only takes the time to download and install on the computer, nothing is upgraded or changed in the PLC. It is not like flashing the CPU to a new version. RSLogix v20.05 had things changed internally that do not effect the PLC or even need re-downloaded to it.

I had to confirm before saying it, but:

Versions 20.04 and 20.05 also have the "Finalize All Edits" feature added in version 26. That lets you Accept, Test, and Assemble online edits in one click without the popup confirmations.

Ahhhh, the good ol' days of the version conflict. Good times, good times
'good'

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

I dealt with the issue on a handful of V21 machines, and would be happy to never need to remember those days.