Cut to Length

mrvn

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to build a cut to length machine and I'm trying to figure out which is the best PLC for my application and also for me since I'm just starting to learn the basics about PLCs.

What I'm trying to achieve is a machine which will have 4 functions:

-cut (by activating a pneumatic which contain a blade)
-jog forward (activate servo motor to move material forward)
-jog reverse (activate servo motor to move material in reverse)
-run or index
*This is the cut to length part, I want to set up a length, and speed for the servo.
*After pressing the button Start, the servo should move X amount of material to the pneumatic with the blade.
*Once the material is in position the blade will be activated for Y amount of seconds (set in a timer) Note: this time will always be lower that the stamping time.
*Since I want to stamp such material, stamping would take place during the cutting (or vice versa, cutting would take place during stamping) and it would require the PLC to activate 4 pneumatics (all with different solenoid valves) during an specific amount of time set in 2 timers (one for each pair of pneumatics)
*Once the material has been stamped and cut the cycle would repeat until I push the button Stop

I hope you can help me find a PLC which is easy for me to program. As I mention before this will be my first time programing a PLC so I would like a PLC for which I can find plenty of information. As I mentioned before I will be using a servo motor which I still dont chose so I would appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Why not use a 'Smart Servo Drive' like: http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en...es/digitaxst/digitaxstz/Pages/digitaxstz.aspx
Just about any HMI can interface via Modus RTU (or other protocol with a comms module) and the software is pretty much drag and drop...

No PLC required.

I never heard of it but it sounds great. Does that mean I can connect my 2 timers and solenoid valves directly to the "smart servo drive" or into its program?

Thank you for your answers

Depending on how far you want to go, you can do some programming as well. For timers and such, there are some built in function blocks. There is some I/O. and more can be added with option modules. We use these for things like die fillers for powdered metal presses, with a few I/O for valves and prox switches and such.

Look for something called flying knife.

Thank you! Any specific PLC that is not too complicated to program? I was thinking of a Direct Logic 305 I think it's called. I'd prefer a guillotine cutter since the flying takes longer to cut. Also a flying knife would need to be connected to a proximity sensor to indicate the plc the cutting has finished. I'm thinking that a guillotine cutter would only need to be activated with a timer (the pneumatic holding the knife) and after that the cutting would be finished? Thank you all for you feedback :)