Any way to power a CLX without AB power supplies?

cardosocea

I'm on an upgrade project now and the panel receives one Mains power and one UPS Power.

Considering this, I was thinking of putting two 24V Power supplies in parallel with a Diode Unit and create a redundant 24V power rail to power the CPU, IO block and network Switch.
But it seems like Control Logix doesn't have the option of providing 24V to the rack, all I find is a redundant Power Supply topology that will only power the rack and nothing else.

Anyone dealt with this in the past?

Thanks guys.
I think I needed a step out of the Siemens shell. The part I am looking for is a 24V power supply from Rockwell... meaning something that takes in 24V and creates everything else.

No, a part number that will do is 1756-PB72. This will take in 24Vdc and create the required voltages in the bus for the rack.

The 24Vdc for this PSU, can then be fed from an arrangement of two 240Vac->24Vdc supplies and a diode unit in between.

The confusion is that with Siemens, 24V go in directly to the PLC and I wasn't considering that I needed a power supply part number for the creation of all the other voltages... a brain **** basically.

fair enuff...

the CLX power supplies (1756-PXYY) can be AC (X=A) or DC (X=B) supplied, with different current ratings (Y=50/72/75)

but they also do the redundant kit for you too...with the PSUs, cables and connector to chassis (didn't know they had options for that, mind you...)

cardosocea said:
No, a part number that will do is 1756-PB72...

But that is just a single power supply. As John mentions, there are kit catalog numbers which contain everything you need.

For instance,

The 1756-PBR2 redundancy kit is the DC supplied version which included 2 x 1756-PB75R DC power supplies, 2 x 1756-CPR2 cables, and 1 x 1756-PSCA2 Chassis Adapter...

19828 - ControlLogix Redundant Power Supply Information (1756-PAR2 , 1756-PSCA2)
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

But that is just a single power supply. As John mentions, there are kit catalog numbers which contain everything you need.

I have a CLX Rack, couple of Flex IO nodes and a network switch that I want to power.
I have 240Vac Mains and 240Vac UPS Supply.

I can put a redundant PSU from Rockwell on the rack or as they advertise, but those two power supplies will power the rack only.

So if I want the network switch and the remote IO nodes powered from both supplies, I have to get yet another set of PSU's from Phoenix or wherever and a diode in between them.

Instead of 4 PSU's a diode unit, special rack and cabling from Rockwell, I can get away with 3 PSU's and a diode unit.

Edit:

One other consideration, only one of those PSU's will be from Rockwell... which will definitely ease the wallet side of things.

Last edited:
Instead of 4 PSU's a diode unit, special rack and cabling from Rockwell, I can get away with 3 PSU's and a diode unit.

Edit:

One other consideration, only one of those PSU's will be from Rockwell... which will definitely ease the wallet side of things.
That's how my last two ControlLogix systems were built, using redundant Phoenix power supplies and the diode module. Part of this is driven by arc flash protection and voltage separation requirements. The first system had two power supply enclosures, each with a Phoenix 40 amp power supply and fed from separate 120vac circuits, and a distribution enclosure to feed the redundant PLC and I/O distributed across nine enclosures. Total load is about 22 amps at 24vdc.