Faulted A Processor Today

Mispeld

People were not happy, to put it politely.

Added a PID instruction with the following configuration...what's wrong with this picture. Hint: It is obvious.

PID.jpg

Faulted the processor because the EU minimum was larger than the maximum? And it let you send it to the PLC without a warning? If so, that's a pretty severe penalty for a mistake that's easy to make. What PLC?

Yup, swapped the minimum and maximum engineering unit values. Faulted on the first scan of that PID instruction.

Having experience with this particular fault, I had been careful to check the initial set point value. And also have limit checks on every MOV into the .SP register. Then this error slips though, and the dreaded red FAULTED.

The processor is an AB PLC-5/80, and I was using the latest version of RS-Logix 5. But, really, I don't cast blame in that direction. Probably should have had someone else review the code before activating it.