How to Interface with 1784-PCMK to SLC 5/01

mapizarro

We have a PCMK card and I can interface and communicate to PLC5 processors with no problem.

But, now we need to communicate with a SLC 5/01. we have 1784-PCM4/B cable (PCMK card to RJ plug), but I do not know what drive I need and how to configure the drive to talk to this old processor.

The laptop have win98 operating system. Thank you for your help.

In RSLink under configure drivers change network from DH+ to DH-485.
Set station number to something different then your SLC5/01.
See Pic below:

PCMKDH485.jpg

Slc5/01 & desktop

I'd really appreciate if any of you guys out there could help me.

I have a SLC5/01 plc. I want get myself into plc programming but do not know how to start.

Again, All I have is the plc, my desktop and access to the software. I was looking out in the web and it seems that I need some expensive cables and adapters to have those two guys talking huh!. What exactly do I need?

Thanks for your help.

HP

The 1747-UIC is probably your safest bet:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1747-pp017_-en-e.pdf

http://raise.rockwellautomation.com...ents.asp?CID=549E8D1292874EEAAEBE03AEE2D9A745

If you are running windows XP SP2 or earlier and plan never to upgrade to SP3...then you may be able to use a 1747-PIC:

http://raise.rockwellautomation.com...ents.asp?CID=4C9C780AC8C94BDA87985C0A2408BCFE

The PIC may be cheaper on ebay since it is quickly becoming useless with newer operating systems...

The other alternative is the 1784-PCMK (laptop PCMCIA slot) or 1784-PKTx (Desktop PC PCI slot). This option is the most expensive, and then there are cables to add to that cost.

Paul

Last edited:
another way to think about is to upgrade the processor to at least an SLC-5/03 ... that lets you program through your computer's serial port (or an adapter) with just a plain old null modem cable (around $10) ...

if you shop on ebay you might find a deal on an SLC-5/03 (or better) for around the same cost of "cabling-up" your existing SLC-5/01 ... expect more horsepower - and less headaches too ...

and welcome to the forum ...