450,000 PLC-5's sold

Rick Densing

I got a letter from Rockwell today. Part of it was celebrating their 450,000th PLC-5 cpu shipment. I was actually suprised that it is such a low number, given the product's seventeen year history. Kind of explains the price- a lot of R&D for such a low volume.

I would be inclined to think that is a fair amount of sales for a specific item. Over 17 yrs or so that averages out to over 2000 a month (figuring on a 20 day work month thats 100 a day or so).

I bet that figure refers to just the processor, not all the components involved...ie I/O, analog I/O, racks, communictaion devices, software sales, cables etc etc.

WELL THE WAY I SEE IT. 17 YEARS, OR REALLY 6205 DAYS + 4 DAYS FOR LEAP YEARS. THIS COMES OUT TO ABOUT 72.475 CPU'S PER DAY IF YOU INCLUDE WEEKENDS OR 101.32 CPU'S PER DAY IF YOU DON'T INCLUDE WEEKENDS. IF THE AVERAGE COST FOR 17 YEARS WAS AROUND $5,000 DOLLARS PER CPU , THATS 2.25 BILLION DOLLARS. STILL 450,000 SEEMS KIND OF SMALL BEING THAT EVERYTIME I OPEN A CABINET THERES A PLC 5 STARRING BACK..????

I love the PLC5/40E

I haven't ever had a PLC5 break. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. I know that Goodyear standardized with the PLC5/40E puting them in for even the smallest applications. Their justification. One platform = simplicity, I tend to agree.