Installing all Studio 5k Installations in one install+Download

@PreLC, thanks for the heads up. I won't likely have any time to try to shoehorn in any other versions, but this will help organize things on the server. :)

A server install is how I started. I was doing it for assetcentre disaster recovery on my server. How about you?
Although I think I will also be using this for new floor PCs that come into the plant.
Thanks!
-PreLC

For me, it's just a convenient spot to store the software for new PC installations. Haven't yet been able to justify AssetCentre to the higher-ups.

Now, with being essentially closed for the past two months, I don't think this year will be the year. :rolleyes:

Tried a newer version of v32. Did not see it. Downloading newer v31 now. But I don't think it will work.

There is a .XML file that appears to be a install answer file for all the stuff this installs. I suspect if it isn't in this "script" the installer won't see it.

\32.01.01-Multiversion-Image\Config\Logix_V32_mega.xml

Perhaps modifying this answer file would allow installing other packages.

OG

Just on the 23rd this month, they released a more complete installer, with V20,21,24,28,30,31,32,33 all packaged in one install. They also released a VM with these software preinstalled. Big step to getting in the future!

KXCPiPo.png

Just on the 23rd this month, they released a more complete installer, with V20,21,24,28,30,31,32,33 all packaged in one install. They also released a VM with these software preinstalled. Big step to getting in the future!

Huh, wonder how that works with Windows licensing? Must have some sort of agreement with MS? Or the ability to download the image is a special purchase?

I thought any VM that is moved or copied, downloaded, etc, automatically breaks the license on board. A bit like taking the HDD out of one machine and inserting it into like for like hardware on a different motherboard.

Ergo it would be up to the user to license windows image/install on a Server that allows pass-through licensing to VMs/use an IDE that runs on Linux :)

Huh, wonder how that works with Windows licensing? Must have some sort of agreement with MS? Or the ability to download the image is a special purchase?

I haven't downloaded this image, but it might be that it shows "Your windows has not been activated" initially until you activate it using a license server. And ofc for factorytalk software there is the activation manager.

I'm not sure if it's a special privilege to download this VM. Can someone else try downloading Studio5k V33 and navigate to "Free downloads" and check?

I haven't downloaded this image, but it might be that it shows "Your windows has not been activated" initially until you activate it using a license server. And ofc for factorytalk software there is the activation manager.

I'm not sure if it's a special privilege to download this VM. Can someone else try downloading Studio5k V33 and navigate to "Free downloads" and check?

It is available for me, I'm downloading now.

Disappointingly, they used a self-extracting RAR to deliver an OVA, rather than just downloading the OVA. So the download doubles in size when once you extract it, then when you install the OVA, the footprint doubles again. Over 100GB storage between the RAR, extracted OVA and the disk image.

And it fails to boot with VirtualBox. I'll figure it out eventually.

I was able to download and install it successfully on VMWare Workstation 14 Pro. It is in fact Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, so PreLC is correct, you need a license server to run it legally. Unfortunately, we do not run a license server for Windows, so I quit using it after half an hour. One quirky thing I noticed was that when I first booted the VM up, it asked me for a 10 digit key, separated by a hyphen. Sounds like a Rockwell license to me. The popup specifically said it would run on a constant loop until the key was entered (I do not have a key). It is quirky because VMWare updated something in VMWare tools, and I logged off to finish the update. When I logged back in, the request for a key was gone. I rebooted multiple times and could not get the popup to come back, so I don't know for sure what the key was for. It seemed my access to the VM was limited only by the fact that I did not have a Windows license on the machine.

That said, while I was tinkering with it I was able to connect to my license server, get online with one of the machines on the floor, and work with FactoryTalk View Studio v12 (ME). The desktop image was the PlantPax logo, so that should give you an idea of what comes preinstalled on the VM.

Hello All,

@MikeyN: Here is what I got for the license:
SJtYcNY.png

I was able to download the multiple parts as DM did too, extract into one OVA file, open OVA file with WinRAR, extracted the VMDK file, converted VMDK to VHD using VirtualBox's VMManage.exe tool, and then imported into Hyper V. It works! Still need to see what all the features are.

Multi-version download

I work in a plant that has 4 different firmware versions of PLCs. I just wanted to help anyone looking how to download the multiversion of studio 5000 like I was about a week ago. Its under the free download section of certain versions ie 20.05.00 has it a couple of others close to it. So if you are needing several different versions of software I attached a pic of where it was on the downland page.

20211201_155728.jpg

There was a V29 that's one of the versions I needed. I'm not sire why they jumped some versions on the multi download.

V25, 26, 27 and 29 were released purely to add hardware support from what I remember.
As those were coming out (25-27 came out in pretty quick succession), our reps suggested not using them, use 28 and 30 instead as they were official product launches.

Maybe they just figure that they were not common enough so they didn't include them in that download bundle. You can still get them individually.