Auto Switch Schematic Symbol

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I would like to know if anyone knows of a proper schematics symbol to use for a 3 wire magnetic auto switch. This is the kind of switch you would use on a pneumatic cylinder to detect position.

I have used a standard prox sensor symbol in the past but I was wondering if there is something better.

R3aOz8CFdIAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=
Standard Prox Symbol below

CTRLS-SB-BEN 2017-11-06 13-00-09.png

I agree with James. To indicate that it is magnet operated, some people put a C shaped magnet symbol above it. I am more inclined to include that info in the description and use the standard prox switch symbol.

I think this one is IEC and yours is JIC, but I didn't find a JIC version with the magnet in a quick google search:
http://www.electrical-symbols.com/i...es-sensors-field/contact-proximity-magnet.png

Like all of the previous replies, I agree that symbol is foe a prox switch. I’m not sure what you mean by using the word “auto” though.

Hi,

Not specific, but may give you some ideas for creating your own symbols...

These are IEC symbols, but may be of some use to you??

Rob

Mag_Prox.png

Yikes, I would really be scratching my head about that one. "what is that"?

Because switches are usually called out in the mechanical BOM, as others have pointed out, I've never used anything other than a limit switch or prox symbol and have never been corrected by a customer (some are pretty picky too).

auto switch.jpg

Not sure what you are looking for

This is a type of auto switch they tend to very on how they are in the schematic depends on the type of auto switch.

Last edited:
Yikes, I would really be scratching my head about that one. "what is that"?

Because switches are usually called out in the mechanical BOM, as others have pointed out, I've never used anything other than a limit switch or prox symbol and have never been corrected by a customer (some are pretty picky too).
This better?

CTRLS-SB-BEN 2018-1025 10-06-16.png