System fault on a Siemens 315 CPU

godfrey

The System Fault LED on the Siemens 315 CPU in my customers panel is on. I was there yesterday going online with it. The CPU mode switch is in Run-P. The Run and DC5V LEDs are on. The program seems to be executing without problem. I went in Step 7 to PLC/Module Information. The General tab showed that there was a system fault. After navigating through all of the tabs, I could not find any further information on the nature of the fault.
Where in Step 7 can I go to get more information like a fault code or description?

You are right already. All the information you need is under the diagnostic buffer tab. But since your system is in run mode you get more information than you need. Most likely you have error handling organization blocks (OB70 to OB87 / OB121 to OB122) downloaded into the cpu. If you have trouble finding the error cause remove all the ob's online and the the system should go into stop. Call the module information again\diagnostic buffer tab. Now it should be easier to see exactly what caused the cpu to go into stop. I think it should be the second entry from the top. Just mark it and press F1 or choose Help On Event to get more detaliled information about the fault. If its a programming related error you can choose open block and Step 7 will show you exactly which instruction that caused the error. You can also look under stacks to see what the register´s looked like when the cpu went into stop. Hope this helps you.