Flexible RTD

Snyd1

Trying to find a flexible style RTD if they exist, similar to a pipe snake. Will be submerged in oil. Thought I found one from Durex but think the site is misleading compared to their catalogue. Anyone know of one? The application requires different pipe configurations for testing and would like a single RTD to snake down vs having a bend radius that might not fit all applications.

Trying to find a flexible style RTD if they exist, similar to a pipe snake. Will be submerged in oil. Thought I found one from Durex but think the site is misleading compared to their catalogue. Anyone know of one? The application requires different pipe configurations for testing and would like a single RTD to snake down vs having a bend radius that might not fit all applications.

There are surface mount 100 ohm platinum RTDs from digikey that only take 1 mA of current and are a quarter inch square and one eighth inch thick. You'd need to solder the wire to these as they are intended to be soldered to a PC Board.

If you are going to snake it through a pipe, I would expect your issue to be specifying a semi-rigid RTD cable that will allow you to push it while still having it flexible enough to go around bends.

Perhaps I should ask how tight a radius you are designing for?

I suspect you'll have to find a vendor who attaches a conventional RTD "tip" (the sensor) to a flexible sheath (the kind the bore scope/endoscope camera is attached to) and then runs the lead wire through the flexible sheath.

The ordinary armored cable used for the lead wire for thermocouples is like small diameter BX, it is very slack and lacks the ability to be shaped and 'hold' the shape of a curve.

Last edited: