PowerFlex 525

jkerekes

I see the PF 525 is out. Has anyone used it yet? I have a project coming up and may want to use it? Thanks!

They are fairly new to the market. I like the fact they have safe off and the price is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't used one yet but will be looking at them on my next project.

Yeah they look interesting. Being relatively new probably not many people have used them yet. Does anyone know if there is a comparison chart for the differences between all the PowerFlex models?

While I haven't bought or used one yet either, I did go to a recent AB presentation on them and look forward to using one in my next application. Some of the features that impressed me are:

- The control module is common for all drive sizes.
- The control module and can be detached and then both powered-up and programmed via a USB cable connection. This should cut-down on both spare parts and start-up time.
- The control module has a built-in Ethernet port and can be expanded to have up to three (3) Ethernet ports. There are restrictions to how the three ports can be used, but if I understood correctly, all three ports are functional at the same time.
- The Safe-off feature is now built-in rather than available as an add-on option.

I know there are more features and improvements, but these are the ones that stuck out for me.

Steve

I just quoted several of them. They look like a replacement for the 4 & 40 family. The 70 & up will do a lot more. I think of them as a dumb shaft turners with safe off.

I have an upcoming need for six of them to run at the same speed (cooling tower fans) but the controller presently is a SLC 5/03. I wonder if they will support Ethernet MSGs from a 5/05 for speed control, until such time as I can figure out how to get a Compactlogix involved?

I really only used PF 70s & 700s. What are the limitations/restrictions of the 4,40,400 series? I wish there where a comparison chart for these things. The 525 looks like it has sensorless vector, built in Ethernet/IP, Safe Stop and positioning with an encoder.

Paul the new CompactLogix are very price competitive over the SLC. I am looking at converting a couple of 5/04 to new compact logix.

Yeah, but I can slap a spare 5/05 in there with about 30 seconds effort on my part for the short term.

But trying to control drives over Ethernet from a SLC is a extremely bad practice. On the 525's I doubt it will even work. People have done it with other power flex drives but it's not a supported config and ever instance I have ever seen has issues.

I would not roll the dice if it were me.

I did a couple of powerflex 70 from a MicroLogix 1400 and used I/O for the start stop but sped over Ethernet.

But trying to control drives over Ethernet from a SLC is a extremely bad practice. On the 525's I doubt it will even work. People have done it with other power flex drives but it's not a supported config and ever instance I have ever seen has issues.

I would not roll the dice if it were me.

I understand, but this is one of those cases where it makes sense.

One more question and I'll let this thread go. On an upcoming project, I could use either a PF40 with a comm-e card or 525 controlled by a CompactLogix. How do they compare to each other? Just controlling pump speeds and such. Nothing fancy. Thanks again!