Some Remote Support Help Needed

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been searching for help on this subject, below are my details.

I Have a Teamviewer connection to a locations PC, running FTViewSE Local. I can log in and change it no problem.

I would like to also change the PLC programs on site as well.

RsLogix500/5000 is unlicensed on the PC.

I have created a VPN connection with teamviewer as well but that doesnt have me into the control network in order to connect from my PC with the software to their PLC's.

What are my options here without driving to site? i have used E WON's before but that requires i goto site.

RsLinx Gateway would require they buy a new license for that...

Do i have any other options to VPN right into the control network or any other idea's or am I SOL?

Do you have access to both endpoint router? If so, you can create a VPN tunnel between the 2 lan networks. This would be your most secure option.

There are other ways but it really get tricky(unless your endpoints are static), what are the plc's you need to connect to?

I do not have access to the router currently. But i have a VPN already via teamviewer.

Basically i want the PC to be a router from the teamviewer VPN to the control network NIC occasionally for support and changes as needed.

2 PLC, Allen Bradley 1 x controllogix and 1 x micrologix

But, If I am understanding you correctly, the pc at the remote location does not have the ability to connect directly to either of the PLC's? Is this correct?

If this is the case and only your Licensed version of RS5000/500 has the ability to directly connect to either Plc's, then that is the only way you will be able to change/update Plc program and or firmware.

To do that you will have to setup a tunnel that will connect both router lan's. Teamviewer only creates a tunnel to that PC and not the Lan side of the router.

The remote PC can see the control network from NIC#2, NIC#1 is where the internet comes in. Ive attached a drawing of sorts.

network.jpg

Dan
Anyone at the remote site that can set up the VPN for you? Team Viewer will let you use the remote computer as it was your own but will not let you use software on your machine through the remote machine. Im sure it is a security thing.

Can you get a temporary license for the software on the remote computer? Maybe you can get someone to enter the key info at the site.

Those are not my actual IP addresses. I Used them for reference...

And I know teamviewer normally wouldn't but its VPN feature is what im talking about not the normal connection so i thought it would allow.

I Was looking at SoftEther VPN as it says you can bridge to another NIC, but after following their instructions i did not get connected and i even tried on a test bench scenario as well so im not sure what i am doing wrong.

I do work like this with a Static IP Route, thanks to a well-written document by one of our Forum members.

The basic important elements are:

1. The PLC must have the onsite TeamViewer computer's LAN address as its Default Gateway.

2. The onsite TeamViewer computer must have NIC-to-NIC bridging enabled.

3. Whenever you connect to another TeamViewer computer with the VPN feature, you must create a new Static IP Route entry on your own computer.

4. You must use the Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx Classic, not the EtherNet/IP driver.

This allows me to have Studio 5000 on my own PC, connected to my own office network (and my licensing server) and to the Internet. I usually switch off the TeamViewer remote desktop to save bandwidth if I don't need to see the remote PC, just the remote PLC.

I also use a remote USB solution to connect my local Indusoft Engineering hardkey to the remote computer, but that's a different story.

Last edited:
Thank you Ken. I Was looking for these as i remembered seeing it before somewhere...

I Was doing this from memory, and i missed the enable IP routing portion...

I Will do some more testing.

This is another reason I like GE Machine Edition.
I have a cloud based license....so... I return my license to the cloud.
Then I log into the remote pc that has Machine Edition installed.
Grab my license from the cloud....do the troubleshooting and then return the license to the cloud.
Then I re-install the license on my pc from the cloud.

I also use LogMeIn. To me it is easier to use than TeamViewer......I do not need a "team" to watch me work.

Last edited: