1784-U2DHP via USB over IP.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Has anyone tried a 1784-U2DHP adapter via a USB over IP connection ?

The reason is that we have some legacy systems at customers that have DH+ but not Ethernet. Providing remote support to these is problematic.
In the past we have provided support via DF1 and modems, but that method is becoming untenable, since dedicated landlines are becoming a thing of the past.

Now, we are beginning to use an E w o n Cosy which has a USB port that supports USB over IP. Thus the idea pops up, use the E w o n and a 1784-U2DHP which is often available onsite.

Anyone with experience ? Not necesarily with E w o n, but with USB over IP, and with 1784-U2DHP in particular.

No joy.... I am testing a couple but they are not a very good quality so not sure if you had a good one if you would have better luck

If you are still looking to support allen bradley you may want to look at the E W O N Flexi which supports DF1 comms.

Yeah, I have done DF1 via E w o n before.
But the site is usually networked via DH+, so a solution with DH+ would give access to all the devices in stead of 1.
And we are changing from E w o n 2005CD which has a serial port, to E w o n Cosy that has no serial but has a USB port instead and supports USB over IP.

Yeah, I have done DF1 via E w o n before.
But the site is usually networked via DH+, so a solution with DH+ would give access to all the devices in stead of 1.
And we are changing from E w o n 2005CD which has a serial port, to E w o n Cosy that has no serial but has a USB port instead and supports USB over IP.

If you have any issues with the E W O N then you might try a mini pc such as the Hades Canyon https://simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/

And a software L2/ L3 VPN like ZeroTier or Soft Ether. Soft Ether is my favorite and with that, it will be just like you are onsite with your laptop plugged into their LAN.

Your DH+ cable could connect directly to the Hades Canyon and it could be your service PC as well as run soft Ether for your VPN connection.

You could also put this guy below on their Ethernet network and when you VPN in you will be on their Ethernet network so they can use it for DH+ access and so can you.

Just a thought.

https://www.plccable.com/ethernet-i...ighway-plus-dh-gateway-converter-ethernet-ip/

Actually quite satisfied with E w o n in general. So I am not after replacing E w o n.

It is just the out of the ordinary need for supporting customers with DH+ networks. The AB 1784-U2DHP is relevant for no better reason that we can purchase it through our regular channels.
A 3rd party Ethernet/DH+ gateway is difficult because of our purchasers do not want to add a new small odd supplier. Especially not for something we would purchase 1 of per year or less.