Omron Expansion Instructions

Junkstuff1

Hello everyone,

I have an Omron CPM2C PLC and I'd like to use some of its expansion instructions (TIML and TMHH), but I haven't been able to get them to transfer. When I try, I get the message "Failed to download the expansion instructions. Check the PLC DIP switch or settings."

I am fairly new to PLCs and have been learning on my own, so in some cases the instruction manual baffles me. Notes under expansion instructions read:

"Set the PC model to “CQM1” when setting the expansion instructions for the
SRM1(-V2) or CPM2A/CPM2C from the SSS."

"The PC Setup must be set for user-defined expansion instruction function
codes in order for function codes to be assigned. Set bits 08 to 11 of
DM 6602 to 1."

I have no idea what CQM1 and SSS are. I've tried changing bits 8 to 11 of DM6602 to 1 and transferring the memory to the PLC, but that hasn't worked either.

Does anybody know how I can get these expansion instructions to work?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
What software are you using?

You will need to set the processor to "use" expansion functions, then cycle power to the unit. This should allow you to transfer the new functions to the cpu.

Just make sure to check your cycle time when using the TMHH instruction.

CQM1 is a plc model, SSS is an older DOS based software package.

Hope this will help.

Thanks for the help.

I'm using CX-Programmer v. 5.00

How do I set up the PLC to use expansion instructions?

As far as how cycle time would affect TMHH, the instruction help says "Very high speed timers with timer numbers other than TC 004 through TC 007 may not be accurate when the cycle timer exceeds 1ms." So I would expect that as long as I use 4-7 I won't have to worry about that, right?

In the frame on the left, you should see "Settings" under the PLC. Click on this and a PLC Settings dialog box should appear. The Startup tab should be active, if not click it. In the lower left corner of this dialog, there should be Expansion Instructions. You need to check "User Settings". You can close the PLC settings dialog.

Make sure the processor is in Program mode. Download to the processor and make sure you check the Settings for download.

After the download is complete, cycle power on the plc.

Now you should be able to setup the expansion instructions you want to use. You will need to download those with your program.

Hope this will help.

You will also have to remove some expansion instructions that are allocated to function numbers to make function numbers available for the expansion instructions you wish to use.

4 ON Expansion instructions set by user. Normally ON when using a
host computer for programming/monitoring.
OFF Expansion instructions set to defaults.