Factory Talk ME and Alarms with CompactLogix

forqnc

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have Factory Talk ME ver 12 and Studio 5000 ver 32.
Hardware is a 2711P_T7C21D8S 7" Panelview Std connected to a CompactLogix L30ER.
I am trying to setup my Alarms in Factory Talk and the way I have done this previously, with Micro 1400, was to load a value in the PLC when an Alarm occurred. Then use that value to trigger my message.
So I made a tag and setup as usual, but on loading the HMI I get the message that "Failed to resolve [Tagname] due to not being on any server"
Started researching and found information regarding that you can't use indirect addressing.
Started researching indirect addressing and feel like I keep falling down a rabbit hole.
I tried to make a HMI tag then have it point to the PLC, same error on HMI.
Then I came across parameters, so I tried to set up a parameter list to see if that would work still no good. o_O
I am relatively new to Studio 5000 and the adjustments from RSLogix 500.
If anyone has a simple explanation or can point me to a section in a manual as to how this should work or if it can work I would greatly appreciate it.
I've attached a couple of screen shots showing the errors.

Screenshot 2021-09-14 110645.png Screenshot 2021-09-14 110730.png

Did you setup FactoryTalk Linx and copy from Design Tab to Runtime Tab and Verify?

You need to point the HMI to the PLC IP address in FactoryTalk Linx?

Indirect addressing is not allowed within addresses in the HMI, any indirection must be performed on the PLC side.

I do not believe parameters can be used with the PV's built in alarm system, as parameters are used when displays are loaded and the alarms are a separate system.

So I made a tag and setup as usual, but on loading the HMI I get the message that "Failed to resolve [Tagname] due to not being on any server"

This sounds like you do not have communication set up properly, or are not connected to the PLC. Make sure any shortcut you are using is properly set up in the Runtime Tab of the Communication Setup.

Then under Alarm Setup add your tag(s) as a trigger and under Messages add what values should display what messages.

Hi
I have a great panelview lab manual that I went through a couple of times as practice. It uses 5000. It may be a little basic for some folks, however it is quite detailed regarding coms as mentioned above and alarm set-up. If you would like a copy, PM me and I'll email it to you. Hope this helps.

My communications appears to be setup correctly, see attached. Also if I add a new tag in the PLC, then go into Factory Talk and look for the tag by refreshing all folders, the new tag shows up. Also made sure to copy design to runtime.

My issues seems to be a mental block regarding "indirect addressing".

I tried something else by trying to assign a tag in the PLC to remotely change the display I get the same thing.

Thank you saultgeorge, I'll definitely take you up on that 🍻

Screenshot 2021-09-14 131633.png

Update:
So I came across this problem when trying to program a CompactLogix and Studio 5000 with FactoryTalk ME. Of course since I have set Alarms up in the past this way with RSLogix 500 I assumed it to be a CompactLogix tag referencing error. This was an R&D exercise I was playing around with.
Anyhow I had to get back to helping the company pay bills.
So I am back to my MicroLogix 1400.
I had bench tested a program a couple of months back, everything working fine. Now I had the machine. So Saturday I went out and downloaded my working programs and guess what "Failed to resolve [Tagname] due to not being on any server" which was referencing my Alarm Tag. In this case N7:5.
I have a display screen with similar tags which did not flag an error, so I used an N7:45 from the display screen as the Alarm trigger, and lo and behold it did not like it.
What has changed since the working program was working, and now doesn't, new laptop and Windows 10.
So at this point I am going to revert back to my Window 7 laptop and see what happens, I'll up date if I find anything.

Follow up:
Re-activate FactoryTalk on my Win 7 laptop and HMI has no errors.
So now the learning curve of setting up a VM on my new laptop.