SLC 5/02 Program to EPROM

PeterKulka

I'm very novice in this forum.
Please excuse me if I do have any stupid questions.

My problem is:
I do have SLC500 with processor 5/02, but it do not have any programming key on it. We are using it to controll automobile vehicle(bus). Inside this proccessor is program permanently burned in to EPROM. Manual for 5/02 calls for option use EPROM or EEPROM. I can replace existing EPROM with EEPROM, but how can I switch PLC 5/02 to programming mode if I do not have any programming key on it?
I do have RS Logix 500,RS Linx and 1747-PIC adapter.
My plan is to build diagnostic unit for testing my modules.
I will create test program, but I do not know how to create file to be able burn it to the EPROM. I do have EPROM programmer.
Is there any utility program for converting file from RS Logix 500 to some binary file which I can burn it to EPROM?
Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Logix500 has a command under the Comms menu item for EEPROM. You will use that to burn the program to EEPROM. Do you have the AB EEPROM? Or is this one you are going to install?

What position is the switch in right now. If it is in the center postion, you can programm it Remotely(REM). Without breaking the switch, I do not know any other way to get around that.

DAvid

SLC5/02 Key switch

Sorry, but my SLC5/02 has no keyswitch at all.
face of this proccessor is plain as input or output module.
Has just LED and small door with single RJ45 connector.
Model # SLC 500 1747-L524.

See atteched pictures

Last edited:
PeterKulka said:
Sorry, but my SLC5/02 has no keyswitch at all.
face of this proccessor is plain as input or output module.
Has just LED and small door with single RJ45 connector.
Model # SLC 500 1747-L524.

See atteched pictures

Yes, a L524 doesn't have a keyswitch. You can only switch modes using your software, RSLogix 500. When downloading new software, it will inform you that it is taking the processor out of run mode in order to accept the new download. Then after the transfer is complete it will ask you if you want to return to run mode.

for more info, see here.

Last edited:
I do not recall that about a 5/02. You know what? I cannot recall the last time I saw one either. Curious. I guess that goes with the failing memory. DOH!

David

Does anybody know if there is any kind of operating system in SLC 5/02 ?
I remember to read something about OS4 and higher to be able to use RS Linx to communicate with SLC. Maybe I'm wrong. Please understand, I'm very novice in SLC.

Thanks you all for this great forum and ansfers.

Last edited:
jstolaruk said:
Yes, a L524 doesn't have a keyswitch. You can only switch modes using your software, RSLogix 500. When downloading new software, it will inform you that it is taking the processor out of run mode in order to accept the new download. Then after the transfer is complete it will ask you if you want to return to run mode.

for more info, see here.
Thanks "Jstolaruk" for this info. Now I only need to buy memory module M2 to be able download my program in to it. Presently I do have EPROM in my SLC 5/02.

Last edited:
Peter, you should be able to connect to the CPU with RSLinx regardless of its firmware version. Also, you should be able to download a program to the CPU without the memory module being present. The memory module is optional (though recommended) to get a processor back to a default condition (with a program you store in it) in case of memory loss (battery failure, etc). Follow this link for more detailed information from AB.

jstolaruk said:
Peter, you should be able to connect to the CPU with RSLinx regardless of its firmware version. Also, you should be able to download a program to the CPU without the memory module being present. The memory module is optional (though recommended) to get a processor back to a default condition (with a program you store in it) in case of memory loss (battery failure, etc). Follow this link for more detailed information from AB.

Thanks for this info.
Now I'm starting to understand the issue.
As I wrote before, I'm trying to build test fixture for SLC500 modules. I will create very simple program to verify each input and output.
My setup is (in cage from left to right):
1746-P3 ---- 24V DC Power supply
1747-L524 ---- CPU 5/02
1746-OW16 ---- 16 relays Outputs
1746-OX8 ---- 8 isolated relays Outputs
1746-OW16 ---- 16 relays Outputs
1746-IB16 ---- 16 DC Sinc Inputs
1747-SN ---- Remote I/O Scanner
1746-IV16 ---- 16 DC Source Inputs

Then I do have on Remote I/O loop this modules:
1791-8BR ---- 8 relays Outputs
1791-16BC ---- remote I/O 16 DC Inputs and 16 DC Outputs
1791-24BR ---- remote I/O 16DC Inputs,8DCand 8relays Outputs

My idea is that input #1 will activate output #1, than input#2 will activate output#2 on the same module. And so and so.
This apply to my remote I/O modules 1791-16BC and 1791-24BR.
My remote module 1791-8BR will be activated same way ( IN1-OUT1, IN2-OUT2 ...) by Input module 1746-IV16 located in main cage.
All others Input modules will activate one of Output modules in same fashion as remote modules.

What do you think about this idea?
Will work? My most concern is if I will have enought memory or other limitation apply?

Please let me know your idea.

Last edited:
I'm very novice in this forum.
Please excuse me if I do have any stupid questions.

My problem is:
I do have SLC500 with processor 5/02, but it do not have any programming key on it. We are using it to controll automobile vehicle(bus). Inside this proccessor is program permanently burned in to EPROM. Manual for 5/02 calls for option use EPROM or EEPROM. I can replace existing EPROM with EEPROM, but how can I switch PLC 5/02 to programming mode if I do not have any programming key on it?
I do have RS Logix 500,RS Linx and 1747-PIC adapter.
My plan is to build diagnostic unit for testing my modules.
I will create test program, but I do not know how to create file to be able burn it to the EPROM. I do have EPROM programmer.
Is there any utility program for converting file from RS Logix 500 to some binary file which I can burn it to EPROM?
Thanks for advice.
Only way to put the PLC (SLC - 5/02 1757-L524) in the RUN mode via RSLogix500 and going online.
You can burn EEPROM of the current program (that loaded in PLC) is going to COMM to EEPROM > Burn Program to EEPROM.
If you want to load your program from EEPROM then go to the Processor Status from the left controller. Then choose Memory Tab. There are 5 choices [S:5/8 & 9 as well S:1/10, 11, 12]. You need to set 1 to one or multiple of the bits as per your choice. I would suggest set 1 to S:1/10 & 12.
Hope this helps.