Is there a free version of Rockwell software for Allen Bradley PLC

Tom_3875

Hello everyone,

Is there a free version of Rockwell's programming software for Allen Bradley plc's?

It's been a lot of years since I worked with them, but I seem to remember all their stuff being very pricey and none of it was free.

My boss at work claims they have free software you can download and use.

Who is correct?

Hello everyone,

Is there a free version of Rockwell's programming software for Allen Bradley plc's?

It's been a lot of years since I worked with them, but I seem to remember all their stuff being very pricey and none of it was free.

My boss at work claims they have free software you can download and use.

Who is correct?

They may have versions that you can download and use for a period of time as a 'trial'. But as for full featured free RSLogix programming software, unlimited time and use? No.

There is free software for programming the Micrologix 1000 and 1100. Then there is the free Connected Components Workbench for Micro 800 and various other devices in that realm including VFD's and some of the A-B HMI's.

Someone may have links to the RSLogix for the Micrologix.

There is free software for programming the Micrologix 1000 and 1100. Then there is the free Connected Components Workbench for Micro 800 and various other devices in that realm including VFD's and some of the A-B HMI's.

Someone may have links to the RSLogix for the Micrologix.

That would be awesome if someone has the link for those. The PLC in question is a Micrologix 1000. One of the outputs is not working and we need to move everything to an unused output on the PLC.

Definitely go to plccables.com to have a top-shelf cable in your inventory.

That said, if time is an issue (this was posted on a Saturday, after all), the RS-232 pinout is here: https://literature.rockwellautomati...ure/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf#G6.1291

and making a cable is not too complex after a visit to your local ex-RadioShack (I had to use needlenose pliers to flatten the alignment detentes on the mini-DIN 8, but it worked first time):

xxx.png

Definitely go to plccables.com to have a top-shelf cable in your inventory.

That said, if time is an issue (this was posted on a Saturday, after all), the RS-232 pinout is here: https://literature.rockwellautomati...ure/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf#G6.1291

and making a cable is not too complex after a visit to your local ex-RadioShack (I had to use needlenose pliers to flatten the alignment detentes on the mini-DIN 8, but it worked first time):

View attachment 59568

Dr. Bit, that is quite the cable!

I've had to make various cables in the past for a one time use and fortunately had an assortment of breakout boards with various connectors direct to screw terminals. They are quite cheap and in a pinch can save the day. All the ones I have are from ASI, but there are others out there a bit less expensive.

Like this, but come in various other flavors as well.

11000.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guys...

worked first time)

drbitboy.... next time I send you anything remind me and I will send you a few things for your collection...

padees said:
Like this, but come in various other flavors as well.

Same here... check these guys out next time you need any R&D stuff, they are near Saginaw and ship fast http://www.winford.com/

I have been using them for over 10 years and they great stuff for people in our line of work