ControlLogix: AOI Not Reading BOOL Bits in Data Structure?

Colt Hero

Is this possible? I'm looking at the "Instruction Logic" of the AOI block (which is the *instance*, correct?) (a VFD AOI called "P_VSD"), and on rung 16 it's got an XIC for "Cfg_HasSpeedFdbk", and it's FALSE (not green), but when I check this bit in the Data Structure for "M_AH3000_U002_VFD.Cfg_HasSpeedFdbk", this bit is ON !

If I toggle the bit OFF and ON it has no effect, and if I GoTo Cross Reference, just the "P_VSD" shows up (so that means it's just a Config Parameter that's only set in the Data Structure, correct)?

Meanwhile, looking at the AOI block itself, both the "Inp_SpeedFdbk" and "Val_SpeedFdbk" elements are fluctuating with the actual drive speed (which the drive itself corroborates) ... so there IS feedback coming in, the block appears to be configured to use this feedback, but the instanced AOI logic doesn't appear to be acknowledging that the config bit is set.

Also - I've checked other config bits and the logic status matches the BOOL default in the Data Structure. Why is this bit not working?

Last edited:
Also just noticed if I click on the (...) button right on the block and look at the local parameters in there, "Cfg_HasSpeedFdbk" is set to "1" in there ... so why isn't the XIC instruction for this bit not green?

The values for the parameters for this P_VSD block get automatically transferred from the Data Structure associated with the tag, correct? And they're copied by name?

UPDATE: NEVER MIND. I JUST NOTICED THE GREEN "POWER RAILS" WEREN'T SHOWING ... EVEN THOUGH I'D RIGHT-CLICKED ON THE BLOCK AND SELECTED "OPEN INSTRUCTION LOGIC".

Last edited:
UPDATE: NEVER MIND. I JUST NOTICED THE GREEN "POWER RAILS" WEREN'T SHOWING ... EVEN THOUGH I'D RIGHT-CLICKED ON THE BLOCK AND SELECTED "OPEN INSTRUCTION LOGIC".
That gets us all from time to time :)

FYI, if you open a specific instance of an AOI (e.g. by right clicking > open instruction logic) but then cross reference a bit inside the AOI, it will return you to the AOI definition, not the instance. There may be other things that do the same thing, but that's the one I'm most familiar with. It's easy enough to switch back to your specific instance of the AOI using the drop-down selector at the top right of the logic window