How to connect Loadcell transmitter to Plc

thewalkerist

Hello i have bought a S7-1200 (https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/uk/uk/Catalog/Product/6ES7212-1AE40-0XB0)

I have bought a loadcell and a transmitter for the loadcell (https://www.tunasistem.com.tr/tuna-ltr3-loadcell-transmitter)but the communication protocol here is rs-485. Now i do not know how to connect this transmitter to my plc. Which cable shoud i be using? Any example photos? And how can i scale a rs-485 value to 0-100 value? Now i knew how to make 0-10V or 4-20mA but what is the deal with the rs-485? In the place that should be written 0-10V there is a Rx/A+ and Tx/B-. I dont get it. How can i scale a non-existant value?How can i find out if its 0 or 27648 or something else? Can anyone please help me out?

56c00251-42ab-45c9-a8e3-459c31cf58c6.jpg

RS485 is digital, half-duplex serial. You need a serial w/ rs485 interface on the PLC, not an analog card.

First of all, get the manual, this should give you all the information you need on protocol, range of the values it gives out, could not find to much info on it and the links to the manuals are all broken but it also has 0-10v or 4-20ma output as well as 485 (modbus protocol).
So it seems you have 3 choices, either analogue or coms
I think if you use coms then you will need a special card for the PLC, I'm not familiar with the S7 series so cannot give you any pointers.
It appears there is some software to configure the unit i.e. perhaps the scale or counts, the type of load cells etc.
Assume the unit could be programmed to give a 0-10v output already scaled as for example 0-500kg or an ascii string 0-500kg then using modbus coms all you need to do is convert the ascii characters into a real value.
If you use the analogue then it's just a matter of scaling as per any other analogue signal.

Yes if you want to use communications, the cheaper option may be buy the converter with the analogue output & use analogues also this would be easier to program but that is your choice, but I have no idea of the cost differences for the coms card or the load cell amplifier.

I also suggest drop the modbus transmitter and get a simple transmitter with 4-20mA output.
How and who decided to purchase the modbus transmitter before it was clear what the technical solution was going to be?

Implementing Modbus is always a project in itself.

Modbus is NOT just connecting wires to the correct terminals and doing some scaling, like analog is; Modbus configuration is far more complex.

Do a quick search and skim read a couple of "Modbus" threads on this forum and you'll get an idea of how complex Modbus is for a raw recruit.

My opinion - Buy the analog module and get your project done.

I would suggest dropping the transmitter, and the modbus and get a Siwarex module for the PLC. Connect the loadcell straight in.

I don't disagree with the comments about bypassing Modbus. but I did find the following info:

• The Google's results for "two-wire rs485:" link
  • The "Half Duplex System" section of this page: link
  • Siemens project for controlling several fans: link
  • PDF with details of same: link
  • Image from that PDF below; the red, green and purple connections in the lower right are relevant.
xxx.png

Get one of these instead. They go for about $550 USD. Company is out of Dresden, Germany. We have several of them and they work great. All the configuration of it can be done in AST's free software, or it can be done with the selectors on the outside of the module. There are no span and offset trim pots to constantly mess around with, which is a big reason we switched over to these in our plant. I set them once, and never have to mess with them again. Maintenance and technicians love it, since the calibration is always correct and no messing with trim pots constantly. Wire your 4 or 6-wire load cell directly into it. Output can be configured for several different output signals (V, I, resistance, etc..).

Last edited:
You guys have some good insight in this matter but i had no choice in this. Wish it was analog values so that i can easily scale them and be done with it. But this transmitter was bought for me and i am doing this all alone. I dont have any money and cant change it:D (Student ya see). So i have to make due with what i got. Now on to the problems

FIRST-
i got myself a rs-485 module(cb-1241). I now connected the Rx to - T/RB and Tx to - T/RA I posted a pic here. I dont know if i should branch out to TB/TA from RB/RA. I am waiting for your instructions sirs/madams

SECOND-
Now here is the real problem, I have no idea how to receive values from the loadcell and scale it to 0-100% value. I'Ve started messing around with Receive_P2P block but i dont know if thats the one i should be using. There are a lot of values here. A few tips and tricks, maybe some pointers in the right direction would be good for me. Thank you everyone for your incredible help again.