OT Glasses

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
Random rant.

Had my eyes tested 4 months ago and were 6/4 (20/10 for the USA guys) and was feeling quite pleased with myself. I can see a number plate from 50m away.

I had to buy a pair of these from Poundland today for laptop use:

eyejusters-oxford-black.jpg

feeling deflated.

EDIT: I'm 47 I may add, but still, feel like my parents!

Last edited:
Yeah you are right, had to google that though!

Not moaning at a £1. bought 3 pairs, one for the work bag, home and desk.

In the early 80's I used to suffer from tired eyes after a day on the laptop, had a vision test & the optician said yes you need glasses, fine no problem, paid £147.00 (quite a lot of money then), used them for over 20 years, replaced them at a cost of about the same cost, no problem, doing the usual trip with the wife, you know the boredom sets in, while in a shop I was browsing at some reading glasses, tried a pair on & they were better than my prescription ones for £4.00, never looked back.

For me it is fortunate the Dollar store nearby sells them for $1.00 US.

Between work, home, cars & toolcases I have about a dozen pair. I also have prescription glasses rated for safety glasses for going in shops.

I've had same experience as @parky, reading glasses are okay for smartphone but hurt my back with laptop and chair, can't get ergonomics right.

I am trying new progressives now; they are not bad but the area in-focus is narrow both up-down and left-right, so my head has to move when I read (along with my lips ;)).

I am trying new progressives now; they are not bad but the area in-focus is narrow both up-down and left-right, so my head has to move when I read (along with my lips ;)).

I tried progressives once - never again. Plus my prescription has been trifocals for 20 years now - pilots can't wear bifocals!

I remember trying to connect a temperature transmitter on an oven roof and complaining to the engineer that was with me that the person who designed it should have to fit it.
The writing was way too small to read.
He whipped his glasses off and put them on me.
Shazzam - the writing was clear a bell.
Sorry Mr Designer, it was blind Ron's fault.

Working on a fault on a SEW Moviaxis system a few weeks ago. Ended up running the machine at 80% speed for 5 days waiting for the SEW Engineer to come to site. When he arrived, he moved two DIP switches which I swear where in the correct position, I looked at them at least a dozen times. I've never been so embarrassed.

Two lessons learnt, always move the DIP switch to check and get better glasses.

EDIT: I'm 47 I may add, but still, feel like my parents!

I was 40 when I hit the brick wall.... I still remember the day, I had to ask an operator to read the motor plate for me, now after staring at PC's for years I cant function without glasses

I was 40 when I hit the brick wall.... I still remember the day, I had to ask an operator to read the motor plate for me, now after staring at PC's for years I cant function without glasses

Almost the same experience as mine. At about 44 I was reading code in Keyence software. I told the boss that the next time he saw me, I would be wearing some readers.:confused: