Buying Studio 5000

I was interested in purchasing Studio 5000. Non subscription based, if possible.

I was given a part number of 9324M-RLDT30. Is this a good choice?

I was wanting input from you guys regarding all my options.

I will either be getting Pro or Full. But, I don't know all my choices.

The part number is good.
Software, ESD - Studio 5000 Professional with Self Support
Item #: 1615055
Cat #: 9324M-RLDT30
UPC: 194033338114
This Studio 5000 offering provides an activation for versions 20.05 and above.
What Versions will you need to work with? This Part number is only good for versions 20.05 and above. If you need to work with older software revisions you will need Studio 5000 Professional Legacy Edition. This edition is a good choice as it has all of the different editors and the Logix Emulate, Architect, and RSNetworx applications included.

See the links below for more info
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/9324-qr001_-en-p.pdf
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sp/gmsg-sp013_-en-p.pdf

What kind of relationship to you have with the local rep? I would talk to them first. They should be able to get you a much better price than list. Not very many customers in good standing pay the list price.

I logged into my account. Price listed is $9,277.05 Yikes!!

They also have a $19k-22k Controllogix processor (I don't recall the part#), if you're interested in that!! ��

Stuff is so overpriced ��. All fine and dandy if the performance of it all justifies the cost, but it doesn't. Not even close when compared to other manufacturer's cost-to-performance numbers, among other things. It's the equivalent of going to a GM dealership and spending $90k for a Chevy Cruze. Will it get you to work everyday, the kids to school, and be a decent grocery getter all at the same time?? Yep. But you could have gotten one of several to choose from, high performance luxury BMW models for way less.

Last edited:
Only use what the customer specs. Never used a Controllogix as way overkill...

Have had a couple switch to Siemens tho, so gotta learn that.

Because they always know best? :) Use what the project requires. If that aligns with what the customer wants, then great. But, there is more to it than just what the customer wants.

Depends on the project. There are projects that require them.

Actually, I should have explained further. A couple customers wanted CLX, an outdated one at that, but talked them into a 5380 and all was cool. Didn't require CLX, just that it was what their guy knew.

I went to NY, looked at finishing up a project that had an L71 on it, programmer quit and it was heading to a company 17 miles from me, their customer wanted someone local to finish it. I was busy with a couple robot cells so got a friend to do it. All worked fine.

Yes, I know that some require the CLX, but never run into something like that as a new project. I mostly use 5380's and PV5510's or RL Graphite, and they are more than capable for these projects. In that respect, I spec it out for them.

Last edited:
Has the price gone up recently ? I got it for $5.5k 4 years ago. This is basically double !

Rockwell has at least one price increase every year, usually in August, and this year was bigger than most, based on my RA rep.

Pretty much everyone else had a price increase as well. I track this every year based on quotes out, but will not comment on percentages because you can still negotiate lower prices in some cases.

Only use what the customer specs. Never used a Controllogix as way overkill...

Too many times what the customer thinks it wants is not what will work. Plus, always plan for added features and expansion the customer will want after they see it running and figure out what they REALLY want.

For me - I have never used a CompactLogix in any build or upgrade.