Looking for "donut" strain guage

Steve Kemp

As a friend, Google can sometimes be just a little overwhelming... and as google doesn't use strain guages, and a lot of you guys do, I've given up trawling and come here. I'm looking for ways of measuring the force generated as a ballscrew is operated against a load. For this application, I'll be rotating the nut and preventing the screw from rotating by means of splines. So, I figured that a tidy location for the guage would be between the thrust bearing located behind the rotating nut and the member that the bearing would otherwise react against. This leaves me looking for a donut strain guage (for the screw shaft to pass through). Has anyone out there used or seen this format?

Cheers, Steve.

Steve
I have used this type of load cell from Siemens befroe and they were OK. Unfortunately I do not have the part number but I am sure that a Siemens distributor should be able to help.

Thanks, Andy. Seimens weren't too hot, but LCM Systems came up with exactly what I wanted and at a good price, too.

I'm curious.
Why do you require a strain guage on a ball screw/ballnut?

I've installed a few and just cranked up the pre-load per the nut and end bearing specs.

Thanks,
Rod

Mike: Yes, you're right; it's a load cell I'm after. Ternimology glitch. :oops: Thanks for the contact. Rod: I've attached a very rough sketch as a pdf. The machine is intended to insert "part A" into "part B". The customer wants to see the actual force as the cycle progresses, so I'll be looking at the reaction force as the rotating nut presses back onto its mounting.

If this is an existing design, disregard this. I have used the IAI type "cylinder replacement", an internally servo driven ballscrew. The unit has a function where it will apply "x" amount of force and check position as well, if you were seating something and checking. The software is crude, but does the job.

-Tom

looking for iai software

Hi,

I´m looking for iai software, i dont know it´s software name, i'm only know that the programs extensions are .x32, p32 and .f32.

If somebody knows the program names please share.

Regards!!!
Dave

tommy23t said:
If this is an existing design, disregard this. I have used the IAI type "cylinder replacement", an internally servo driven ballscrew. The unit has a function where it will apply "x" amount of force and check position as well, if you were seating something and checking. The software is crude, but does the job.

-Tom