fishenguy

glad the logic worked ... as for your new problem, I'll put my guess in the "sensor is too big" column ...

on a more personal note ... from your profile:

Love to go fishing with my daughter, just don't have enough time

make time ... but you already know that - or else you wouldn't have mentioned it yourself ... so consider this just a friendly nudge in the direction that you already know to be the correct one ... sorry if I'm minding your personal business ... feel free to ignore me ... others do ...

I know that the prox is miscounting because I can see the results of it by how the machine is running. I'm trying to use this to sort different flavor drinks into thier proper lanes. When the prox miscounts it causes the punch flavor drinks to go down the lane for the orange. I don't think it's sensing too many teeth at once because i'm actually losing the signal momentarly. The sprocket in question has a one inch pitch between teeth.

Ron, I don't mind anybody reading my profile. I guess my hoby is realy "thinking out loud" Anyway, my daughter is 22 now and too involved with her boyfriend. I did help her get a part time job with me while she's going to school. I get to sit with her at lunch most of the time. We do go fishing on rare occasions when our schedules allow.

Last edited:
is there a possibility that the "miscount" is happening at the precise instant that the counter's accumulator is being reset? ... or is it miscounting somewhere (anywhere) between 0 and 35? ... I know that might be hard to spot, but if that's your problem we need to know it ...

PS Edit ...
my daughter is 22 now and too involved with her boyfriend
ah! ... now that's a different story ... telling HER to "make more time" for fishing with her dad is probably not going to work ... I thought the little lady was nine or ten ...

Last edited:
No it's not happening while the counter is resetting. I can see that by watching the laptop. I know I can't possibly watch the input from the laptop, but I can tell by how long after my outputs energize that the lost count is happening well past the reset command.

Two thoughts
Have you tried using a Histogram, its in the Comms tab of RSLogix 500 to see if there is a timed regular pattern. I know you may be near the limits at 75Hz that was quoted above.

Is there grease on the sprocket that passes the prox, as it can get loaded with metalic rail dust, or iron filings.
Clean off all excess grease and don't forget the front of the prox.

Last edited:
Alan Case said:
Also have a look at the filter time for input zero. The default is 8 [milli-] seconds. You may need to adjust it down. Look under IO configuration--Filter Adjust. Regards Alan

Have you checked the input filter setting yet? This could very well be your only remaining problem. As for setting up the prox on/off times, you may need an o-scope to do that best. I would think you'd be best with an off time at least as large in duration as the on time, and an on-time at least as fast as the filter setting on the input point.

Last edited:
Frequency is the measurement of the number of occurrences of a repeated event per unit of time.

The unit of measure is Hertz, 1 Hz means that an event repeats once per second.

If it counts 13.5 times in one second wouldn't that be 13.5 Hertz?
If the AB unit is rated for 1000Hz, wouldnt that mean it could count 1000 times per second?

As mentioned the sprocket and/or prox may need cleaning.

If your using a regular chain type sprocket the off time may definitely be longer with a short on time, is this something like an ANSI 40 36 tooth sprocket? That could cause some issues.

May want to look at using a timing or spur type gear that will offer matched on/off timing.

Ron Beaufort said:
Greetings fishenguy ...

and welcome to the forum ...

see if this gets you started ...

hsc_1.JPG
Ron, tell me if I'm wrong here, but dosn't the preset need to be 37 if he needs to count 36 (resetting on 37)
I have a bit of time, might put it into an slc and try it.
I too need to spend more time with my daughter, but she thinks fishing is 'booring' after 5 min!

All my troubles (plc related) were solved today. It turned out all I had to do was set the prox switch closer. I guess I should have known that because that isn't the first prox I ever installed. Although it is the first 18mm one. The package said the detect distance was 5mm, wich is s little bigger than 3/16". I set it with a .020 feeler gauge and all my problems went away. Thanks for all the info.
Tripper, when I first wrote the program using a regular CTU bit, I did have to set it to 37 because the counter would count up to 36 then reset to one. The high speed counter (HSC) resets to 0 after it reaches the preset.
I have one last curiosity question. What is the cut off point between using a regular counter in a program and having to go to a highspeed counter? Hertzwise

When my daughter was little she would play with the minnies that were my bait.

When my daughter caught her first fish at 8 or 9 years old ( she's 35 now), I said good lets go clean it up and we will have it for dinner tonight. She started to cry and threw it back in the lake.

Mickey, that was great. I hope someday, before I'm too old, my daughter will give a granddaughter so I can do it all over again. Next time I'll make more time.

If your using a regular chain type sprocket the off time may definitely be longer with a short on time, is this something like an ANSI 40 36 tooth sprocket? That could cause some issues.

I'm using an ANSI 80 sprocket with 72teeth.

Back
Top Bottom