Rslogix compare tool

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Is there anyway you can compare two programs for differences in Logix 5000? I have two versions of the same PLC program that were saved about a year apart, I need to know what has been changed since the last time I was on site and I don't want to do a manual rung-by-rung comparision.

I tell myself that surely Rockwell did not forget to include a comparision tool for 5000, but if they didn't, they've hid it well.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
There is a Compare utility on the RSLogix5000 CD. You have to install it separately though. Look on the CD for the Tools folder.

OG

EDIT: Some older revs didn't have this tool.

Version 12 comes with the compare tool that will give you a detailed report of the differences. I think you can also download the compare program from the web site.

Does Softlogix have the compare tool? I desperately need this and all I have is Softlogix. Thanks for your help.

The compare tool compares the project files, what platform the project runs on is not relevant. SoftLogix is just a software based PLC. To compare files, you need the ACD files that you want to compare and RSLogix5000/LogixDesigner plus the compare tool installed.

Thanks for your relpy. I cannot find it in Softlogix and thinking it is an add on I need to install? Or was that a No, Softlogix doesn't have it. I have the 2 ACD files I want to compare.

SoftLogic is simply a software tool to create a software-based PLC controller. That is all that it does, nothing else.

RSLogix/Studio 5000 is the programming software used to program the SoftLogix as well as the CompactLogix and ControlLogix physical controllers. That software is REQUIRED to load a program into these controllers. It does have a compare utility.

OG

Thanks for your relpy. I cannot find it in Softlogix and thinking it is an add on I need to install? Or was that a No, Softlogix doesn't have it. I have the 2 ACD files I want to compare.

I think you are confused as to what SoftLogix is. SoftLogix does not have a compare tool because it is not a development environment, it is only a software PLC. Think of SoftLogix emulated PLC for Windows.

RSLogix5000/LogixDesigner is the development environment for developing projects for SoftLogix. Since it is the development environment, it has the ability to compare projects.

I do see I have RSLogix 20.01 so thanks for correcting me. How do I get the Compare Tool? I think this is the only way to compare to ACD files, right?
Thanks for your reply. I have googled how to get the Compare Tool and am having no luck.

Its part of the RsLogix 5000 install
Just re-run the installer and its one of the tools options.
Or, I believe you can get the standalone installer from the compatibility center @ rockwell

Thanks. I tried the modify installation but there was not a compare tool in the choices to install. I am on a company laptop that doesn't allow installs so I think this may be the end my hope for the compare tool.

In the Logix software the compare utility is found in the Tools menu. However, during the install you can choose not to put it in that menu, and you can choose not to install it at all.

In Windows you might find it as a standalone utility. In Windows 7 and Windows 10 click the start button and start typing "compare" without the quotes. See if the Compare Tool shows up in your Start menu.

OG