problem of SLC 5/04 with PLC 5 by DH+

NSong

Hello all,

Did anyone have the similar experience of setting DH+ communication between a PLC 5 and a SLC 500?

I tried to set up DH+ communication between a PLC 5/60B and a PLC 5/04C. Each PLC could be individually
download, online, remote prog. remote run by RSLogix 5 or RSLogix 500. I set 1B port of PLC 5/60B as DH+,
57.6 KBaud, Node 2, Link ID 3, Diagnostic File 14, Global file 12 (copy from AB manual). SLC 5/04c, Chan. 1 DH+,
Baud 57.6K, Node 1, passthru Link ID 2; Ch0. DF1 full Dulex, passthru link ID 1. the rest is the default settings.
Also, SLC 5/04C bit S:34/5=1. The laptop connected ch0 of SLC 5/04C. Both 1B of PLC 5 and DH+ of SLC are solid green.
But in RSLinx, under DF1-1 driver are the laptop and SLC 5/04 icon, under SLC 5/04 icon is DH+ driver and another SLC 5/04(ch0) icon! It should be PLC 5, not another SLC.

What's wrong of my setting? The PLC 5 was in Rem Run mode. The SLC 5/04 was in Rem prog mode. Then I had com port conflict problem and couldn't put SLC in run mode. The programs only have the channel settings, no any other code.

Thanks,

Eric

Each PLC could be individually
download, online, remote prog. remote run by RSLogix 5 or RSLogix 500

Hi Eric,

Couple questions...

What com's did you use to do this? What is the physical connection between the two?

Both 1B of PLC 5 and DH+ of SLC are solid green.
I think this means its sending data between the two

But in RSLinx, under DF1-1 driver are the laptop and SLC 5/04 icon, under SLC 5/04 icon is DH+ driver and another SLC 5/04(ch0) icon! It should be PLC 5, not another SLC.

What cable are you using?

The way I read it, you're trying to use DF1 Full Duplex "Pass Thru" on the SLC-5/04 to access the PLC-5 controller over DH+.

You're almost there.

The SLC-5/04 controller must support DF1/DH+ passthrough, which was added in the mid 1990s. Any controller with OS401 or better will work.

Both S:34/0 and S:34/5 need to be set = 1.

Those settings disable DH485/DH+ passthrough and enable DF1/DH+ passthrough.

You correctly have the Link IDs unique on each port.

Last, go into RSLinx Classic and reconfigure the DF1 Full Duplex driver so that the Device Type is "KF2/KE", rather than "PLC/SLC Channel 0".

That will cause RSLinx to start browsing different destination nodes on DF1, which will be passed through to different destination nodes on DH+, rather than limiting it to ignoring the node numbers and assuming a point-to-point Node-0-to-Node-1 connection.

Here is a PDF for you on the subject.

Shows pictures of what Ken described.

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

Couple questions...

What com's did you use to do this? What is the physical connection between the two?
My laptop only has USB. I used a 9300 USB to Serial adapter. For the PLCs, I used both Ch.0 ports. The physical connection between the two DH+ ports is a Belden 9463 cable (about 10" long). I don't have 150ohm resistors. I used 2 - 80ohm at each end anyway.

I think this means its sending data between the two

I believed it too.

What cable are you using?

I used 1784-cp10 for PLC 5 and 1747-cp3 for SLC 5/04.