5069-SERIAL Difficulties

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all!
I'm using a 5069-SERIAL card for the first time, though I have plenty of experience with serial on other AB platforms. I'm running into difficulties and wondering if anybody might have an idea of the dumb thing I'm missing.

This is an upgrade from a SLC5/04 with a 1746-BASIC module to a 5069-L320ER with a 5069-SERIAL card. I'm trying to use the card to read data from an existing barcode scanner and weigh scale, and not having any luck. I can receive data from both devices on my computer using a USB/serial adapter and the Hercules testing application. But I can't receive data in the PLC. I've tried sending data to the PLC from my computer, and the RX light flashes. I've also tried sending data to my computer from the PLC, and the TX light flashes. So I think I have the wiring correct. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong in the setttings, but I've double-checked all the standard things like baud, stop bit, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

OK, got it figured and wanted to follow-up in case others run into similar issues.

First, it was not the cable, I had checked that out pretty thoroughly. I had verified that handshaking was not needed and was turned off and that all other pertinent settings were correct. I was able to get the port settings out of the original BASIC module, and matched them in the new module. The serial card status lights also showed me that I was both receiving data (from scanner, scale, and PC) and transmitting (to PC).

So I had two issues that were killing me. I finally got a clue when I drilled into channel diagnostics in the module properties and saw the number of received characters incrementing properly. I started reading the documentation more carefully and realized that I had the channel handshaking setting at Master/Slave instead of Immediate. I changed that and was able to properly receive data.

The other issue was related to my testing software, Hercules, which I've used for years, but this is still a bit of a mystery. Once I could receive data in the PLC, I tested and was also able to send data from my testing software, but not receive. So I switched to RealTerm, which I had never used, and it worked! Even more oddly, I then switched back to Hercules to see if there was a setting I had messed up, and it started working as well, with no changes.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Your other issue sounds like the typical issue where software doesn't save the existing settings of the serial port, changes them and leaves them as is. Then the other software doesn't change or list all the settings and you're stuck without understanding what's going on.

RealTerm is the best one Ive found for serial troubleshooting. Theres also a program called HypeTerminal, which is just a more basic serial emulation program that was made to replace the old HyperTerminal that came standard on Windows back in the day.