Studio 5000 Logix Emulate - Error on Download

zidanet

First post here.

Software:
Logix Designer 31.02.00 Professional (running as admin)
PLC firmware: 31.011 (required by customer)
Actual PLC: 1756-L72
Emulator PLC: Emulate 5570

Studio 5000 Logix Emulate (running as admin)
Controller:
Emulate 5570 Controller
Version 31
Memory Size 12000 KB
Periodic Save Interval: 10 (default)
Continuous Task Dwell Time (ms): 10 (default)
CPU Affinity: CPU 0
Channel 0 (something, got cut off and cannot read): "None"

Issue:
I have the project set up so the emulator controller is on slot 2.
I can see the emulated controller with RSWho in Logix Designer, and I can go online with it.
When I go online, I am prompted to download. When I click download, I see my code get compiled and loaded in. The problem kicks in when the download gets to "downloading extended property definition(s)". The download would get "stuck", and after about 10ish seconds, a large red X shows up on the controller in Logix Emulate window. Logix Designer would then show several "Error: Communications timed out" and the download would then fail.
Once the red X shows up, I cannot do anything with the errored controller. Mouse hover text says "Controller Not Responding". I can still remove it. The error would be cleared if I close Logix Emulate and reopen it.

Note that Logix Emulate itself should be working fine - I have this same project configured with V33.011 before and it worked fine. It was after customer updated us that V31.011 is required when emulate stopped working.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and if yes, how did you fix it?

Start a new blank project in v31 and download to the emulator. If this works then export all programs and import to the new project file. Usually works when I run into this

@jholm90

Thanks for the suggestion. I just gave that a try and... No go. Even with a completely blank project, I get the red X on Logic Emulate when Logix Designer gets to "downloading extended property definition(s)".

One thing I noticed (and this may be really dumb) is that I have Logix Emulate v33 installed, but my Logix Designer 5000 has both v33 (newest at the time of download) and v31 (customer requires 31.01). When I previously successfully simulated the project, it was v33 project on Emulate v33. Do I need Emulate v31?

Last edited:
Well by chance I gave this a try myself as I also have v33 emulate and made a v31 project, also failed on extended properties and red x in the slot.

My recommendation would be to keep the project emulated and controller in v33, then export the programs into v31 when done.

Hello, good afternoon.

Today, I had the same problem you mentioned. In my case, the solution was to add a new processor to LogixEmulate in another slot and make the change in the Studio5000 project. My project is developed in version 30.(y)

I hope this helps. Greetings!

First post here.

Software:
Logix Designer 31.02.00 Professional (running as admin)
PLC firmware: 31.011 (required by customer)
Actual PLC: 1756-L72
Emulator PLC: Emulate 5570

Studio 5000 Logix Emulate (running as admin)
Controller:
Emulate 5570 Controller
Version 31
Memory Size 12000 KB
Periodic Save Interval: 10 (default)
Continuous Task Dwell Time (ms): 10 (default)
CPU Affinity: CPU 0
Channel 0 (something, got cut off and cannot read): "None"

Issue:
I have the project set up so the emulator controller is on slot 2.
I can see the emulated controller with RSWho in Logix Designer, and I can go online with it.
When I go online, I am prompted to download. When I click download, I see my code get compiled and loaded in. The problem kicks in when the download gets to "downloading extended property definition(s)". The download would get "stuck", and after about 10ish seconds, a large red X shows up on the controller in Logix Emulate window. Logix Designer would then show several "Error: Communications timed out" and the download would then fail.
Once the red X shows up, I cannot do anything with the errored controller. Mouse hover text says "Controller Not Responding". I can still remove it. The error would be cleared if I close Logix Emulate and reopen it.

Note that Logix Emulate itself should be working fine - I have this same project configured with V33.011 before and it worked fine. It was after customer updated us that V31.011 is required when emulate stopped working.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and if yes, how did you fix it?