Copying RSL 5000 Tag Descriptions

Mispeld

I frequently find myself copying several tag descriptions from one RS Logix 5000 program to another, or even within a single program (e.g., array element descriptions). It would be really nice to be able to select multiple, contiguous tag descriptions, do CTRL-C copy, switch to another open program, click on the first destination tag description, and CTRL-V to paste all of the copied descriptions. In other words, like copying and pasting a group of cells between MS-Excel spreadsheets.

Using the standard Controller or Program Tag window, there seems to be no way of selecting multiple tag descriptions like this. About the only thing to do is cut-and-paste descriptions one-by-one.

Aside from doing a tag database export-edit-import, is there any other convenient way to copy multiple tag descriptions between Logix 5000 (V2x.xx) programs? Is there some tag view I am missing that allows this? The one-by-one is pretty tedious beyond 10 or so tags, and then becomes error prone with alignment.

I had installed, but never really used the tag upload/download utility. What I found when trying it just now is that it works with tag values, not tag attributes such as description.

While I'm glad to know more about that utility, I don't think it works in this case.

Now if the built-in export feature allowed selective filtering for specific tags by name, that would be nice. But it looks like tags by program or controller is as far as it goes in the RSL5K versions I am looking at.

You can copy multiple tags use the edit tab of the tag database. Select all you tags to copy and paste in last row. New tag row. I have done this moving program tags to controller tags. But I think it will only work for new tags. I'm home and do not have software to verify. I also have not tried between two different program files. But I don't see why it shouldn't.

There are two things I miss from RSLogix 5. One is the ability to run Excel within the IDE to edit registers. The other is to view cross references within a ladder diagram.

Not that I'd trade Studio 5000 for RSL5, I just miss those options...

It's easy to do with a CSV export

The procedure is simple:
• First: make sure the tags you want to edit have some kind of description. It can be random letters, but there has to be a placeholder of some kind for the tag to show up in the export.
• Second: Right click on "Controller Tags" or "Program Tags," and select "Export to CSV"
• Third: Edit the CSV file in excel and save it using the CSV format
• Fourth: Go offline in RSLogix and select the following from the overhead menubar:
-->Tools-->Import Tags
• Finally: Select the edited file and import it

Afterwards go online. The PLC will make you do an upload, but don't worry; this will NOT overwrite your new tag descriptions!

Last edited: