Siemens TIA V17 HMI Simulation Issues

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,
I have been using TIA Portal V16 on a project (S7-1500) and when I am online to the PLC (all devices, FB's, FC' DB's etc. are green) and I simulate the HMI (comfort 1200), it works as expected and the real time data is displayed on the screen. I have since installed TIA V17 on the PC. If I open the project in V16, go online to the PLC, then the HMI simulation shows #### instead of the actual data. If I simulate the PLC and the HMI, then the values show correctly.

If I open the same project on an identical PC without TIA V17 installed, go online to the PLC and simulate the HMI, then I get real time data.

The same happens for projects in TIA V15.1 & V13.

Pre V17 install all HMI simulations displays real time data. Post TIA V17 install HMI simulation displays ####.

Anybody else having this issue? Anybody have any thoughts about a solution?
Thank you
Woolie

Also check in the HMI connection settings if the access point is called S7ONLINE or something else. When copying HMIs within a project TIA sometimes adds a number to the name, i.e. S7ONLINE1, S7ONLINE2 etc.
If that is the case, either change the name back or create a new access point with that name.

Thanks M_Turk & JesperMP for your replies. I will have a look at the PG/PC setup and access point naming. I can go "online" to the PLC and monitor the code so I thought that would imply that the Connection settings were correct. If I retrieve the same archived project into both VM's (PC1 has V17& V16 installed & PC2 with just V16), then the HMI simulation not showing real time data is on PC1 PC2 HMI simulation works displays data correctly. It certainly seems to be an issue caused by V17.
Siemens Tech support suggested that I clear the memory of the PLC and download the project again. This isn't practical as the machine won't be available for 1 or 2 months.
Again thank you for your interest and input.
Woolie

Hi Everyone,
Just an update on the HMI Simulation issue when physically connected and Online to the PLC.
I have just spent many hours, uninstalling TIA Portal V17 and doing a complete re-install.
At least all those hours weren't a complete waste as it is now working as it should. I have no idea why it wouldn't work the 1st time around.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Woolie

I suggest that you program in the HMI a message view that displays system messages.
In this way you get a meaningful indication as to why the HMI doesn't go online.
Such a system message view is very important, also for many other kinds of problems you can have with the HMI.
Another way is to drop in a HW Diagnostics view. This also gives you a lot of useful information about the HMI, but also the HW diagnostics of the connected PLC.
Both of these are very easy to add to the HMI program.

Thanks JesperMP,
There is a "System Message" page configured but no button to access it. Now that the HMI simulation works, I can set up the navigation to the page and check it out. Next time the plant is down for maintenance, I can download the modified HMI program.

Again Thanks for your interest and advice.
Woolie

You can configure both a view that pops up and disappears, and a message view that remains and keeps displaying the messages in a list. The latter is better for troubleshooting.

Had the same issue, could connect to PLC but not with HMI Simulation TIA V17. Checked Communication Settings in Control Panel for PG and everything looked fine. In Control Panel set PC/PG Interface (32 bit) to TCP/IP and whala everything works just fine now.

Had the same issue, could connect to PLC but not with HMI Simulation TIA V17. Checked Communication Settings in Control Panel for PG and everything looked fine. In Control Panel set PC/PG Interface (32 bit) to TCP/IP and whala everything works just fine now.

Hi! Had the same problem with TIA17, in TIA16 was ok. The HMI Simulaton didn't work. I checked PG/PC setup, clicked and became ok.

Thanks mxm,
I ended up un-installing TIA V17 and re-installing it. 2nd time around it worked.
Thank you for the update.
Woolie