Message 612 - PanelView 550

To connect to the IMC-S Class motion controller, you likely need GML commander software, and a good serial converter. It has been a long long time since I worked with them but if my memory hasn't failed me, there are two RS232/422 serial ports configured with dipswitches and one of them was commonly used in "terminal mode" where you could connect to a generic terminal emulator as a crude HMI, so you might be able to do that without GML commander and see something appear in a terminal emulator. I might be mixing up memories with the 1394 series too though.

I got pretty good with GML back in the olden days having first learned Creonics scripting. A/B bought Creonics and did a fantastic job of creating a graphical interface for building the script files and put a nice physical wrapper around the old Creonics boards which became the S-Class (IMC).

If you have GML commander and a copy of the files you need, I expect you can reload the program into it. IIRC, you will also have setup data and gains that are saved separately from the script file. If you have GML Commander, the GML diagram and the setup files that go with it, that is ideal. GML commander can build a script file for download, but cannot take a script file out of a controller and turn it back into a diagram.

I have never tried to connect without a real serial port, but I suspect it should work. Last time I dealt with them we used Windows 2000 on a real PC on a roll-around cart.

Last edited:
I contacted the manufacturer for the program.
He doesn't seem to agree to provide it to me knowing that for him the problem does not come from the program since I have no red led which lights up on the imc.

When I but the machine in tension I have no red led which lights up.

I opened the imc and I can't find anything special in visual.

I contacted the manufacturer for the program.
He doesn't seem to agree to provide it to me knowing that for him the problem does not come from the program since I have no red led which lights up on the imc.

When I but the machine in tension I have no red led which lights up.

I opened the imc and I can't find anything special in visual.

In my fading memories, having the Logic System OK LED lit green is a good sign that the program is intact, but I seem to remember a RUN led somewhere too...

You will still want a copy of the program, because someday E-Bay is gonna run out of obsolete parts to support that machine, and it will be easier to migrate if you have the old code to build off of.

EDIT: No, I think the Logic and Field LEDs are just for the power supplies, not the status of any programs. There are status LEDs ... I think they're red, and used for power up diagnostics and are programmable.

Last edited:
I am looking at a 4100-234-R on my desk right now. That is the IMC S Class with 4 axis and RIO. On my model, the System OK, Logic Power, and Field Power are all green LEDs. The Status 0, 1, and 2 LEDs are red. These are not RGB LEDs. With that said, according to the manual, the status LEDs will flash to indicate self-testing procedures. Once the unit passes its self-test and the CPU watchdog is enabled, those LEDs should shut off. From there, they can be user programmed to indicate whatever the programmer would like as Ken Roach mentioned earlier. It could be one of these red LEDs that the manufacturer is referring to. I don't know if the status LEDs will help if the program has been dumped. No red LEDs would indicate to me that the program is in there and running, but I cannot confirm this. All I know is that if Status LED 0 is on continuously, that indicates some kind of memory fault, the remedy is to load the GML diagram back into the controller.

I don't have the ability to power this up at my desk, and it is the spare for our uncoiling system, so I am not inclined to mess with it very much. OkiePC is correct, you will need the GMLCommander software, and you likely will need a copy of the original program. There is an option to inhibit the ability to upload the program running in memory, so there is no guarantee that you will be able to grab it from the S Class if it still exists. (page 5-6 of the manual)

I have the GML but nothing else. and it is possible to extract it directly to the chip via an arduino method?

I have no LED movement that moves at any time. the only ones are the fixed green LEDs, nothing else.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on being able to use an Arduino for this. Do you have the GMLCommander software, or just the GML file? I don't think you can do anything without GMLCommander. It can be downloaded from the Rockwell site, but you have to have a license for it already. I don't know if they will still sell that or not, but I highly doubt it. You should speak with your local distributor to see if they can help you out with this.

MikeyN is right. The small status LEDs should cycle when you first power it up and then go off if everything is normal. If I remember right, they are all on (or flashing?) at first, and then go out one by one as the unit passes each of its power up tests. If they never even light up when you first power up, that could indicate a problem I think.

If you have GML programming software in a version compatible with the firmware on the IMC, you should be able to extract everything you need to restore functionality as long as it hasn't been wiped already. If you have a script file from the OEM, you can use GML software to download it (I think), but you will also need to be concerned with axis tuning parameters and one other file (I forget...I think it was called "variables" or "setups" or something like that.)

I do remember that making a backup for the purposes of installing a new controller required 3 pieces. The script, the gains, and the 3rd piece that escapes my aging brain right now.

There were at least two versions of GML programming software before Commander. And I think there were at least 2 versions of GML Commander. I remember GML 3.8, 3.9, then Commander 4.02 and 4.03, that last one is where I think they stopped. It was possible to use newer versions to talk to older hardware but there were exceptions. I know we had to keep two versions around so that we could still work with old Creonics boards that were compatible with GML 3.x, but not compatible with 4.x versions and we had one case of a very early firmware IMC that required a version in the middle (3.9 I think) until we upgraded its firmware.

Last edited:
I think where you stand now is that you have an apparently healthy Panelview Standard that can't communicate with an IMC emulating a SLC on DH485. I tend to think the Panelview is okay, because you could see it in RSLinx. I do not know if you were seeing it through the same port that it is attempting to use with the IMC.

The IMC appears okay on the surface based solely on LEDs.

The unknowns are the cables between the link coupler and the IMC and Panelview, and the link coupler itself.

If you try to connect to the IMC with GML programming software, you will definitely need to shut down RSLinx and set up GML software to use your RS232 serial port adapter. If you do that and get connected, we may be able to learn more about the health of the IMC.

I think some of the icons at the lower left are used to establish a connection or "go online". Matter of fact, the one that looks like a cable that appears "pushed in" in your screen shot is the one that you toggle to connect and disconnect.

I just found a book for GML Commander ... all 958 pages of it.

pdf:
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/gmlc-rm002_-en-p.pdf

EDIT: Search that book for "Going online". It explains how to do it. It is written from the perspective of downloading a freshly written GML diagram which you DO NOT want to do! You just want to set up the software/PC com port and "Go Online" without downloading. This means you will be able to see stuff in the terminal window, but not the diagram area.

Last edited:
Yes I have the GML software on a windows 10 right now.

I show you in passing anyway the screen that I have of the software.

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/316049681_3457524374469741_8786730734216514365_n.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=enk1_X7WgQIAX-tGPZX&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=03_AdTaa6Uyr0fgcXpnEWPi-v4WEeZ5gm08EBlj0dhnFg_JKQ&oe=63A61E56

I don't know how to use the software, I tried to browse on youtube but I haven't succeeded yet.

this is pretty generic, and looks like he chose dh485 instead of serial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgiJKvbM2N0

but more or less...

aim to set up the communications pathway to the type you want to use. If you use Serial you'll need to set the communications port to the one being used by your USA-19hs adapter (which plugs into the serial port on the IMC). and then perform the upload using the options at the top. select all for the upload, save the file somewhere safe.

I just found a book for GML Commander ... all 958 pages of it.

pdf:
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/gmlc-rm002_-en-p.pdf

EDIT: Search that book for "Going online". It explains how to do it. It is written from the perspective of downloading a freshly written GML diagram which you DO NOT want to do! You just want to set up the software/PC com port and "Go Online" without downloading. This means you will be able to see stuff in the terminal window, but not the diagram area.

page 848 in the PDF outlines the upload screen.