===[Intouch vs PLC rockwell]===

Le Tri Dung

I have a rockwell and intouch PLC program available that connects to that PLC. Now I want to know how the intouch tag and the PLC tag are linked together while their names are different, the in touch tag is “PLC:UNIT.Loop.Purge_water.Tar” and the PLC tag is named “UNIT_G2G2C5C001.Loop.Purge_water.Tar“. Why are they so different in name but linked together, and how is it linked?

The InTouch tagname can be (within limits) whatever you want. For example the InTouch tagname can be "Apples" and the corresponding PLC tagname can be "Oranges". They are linked together in the InTouch application. If you open the tagname dictionary and select the InTouch tagname and look at the bottom of the box you will see Item: and then the PLC tagname. Of course you need to have a correctly set up Access Name to that PLC, but that is how the 2 tagnames are linked.

The InTouch tagname can be (within limits) whatever you want. For example the InTouch tagname can be "Apples" and the corresponding PLC tagname can be "Oranges". They are linked together in the InTouch application. If you open the tagname dictionary and select the InTouch tagname and look at the bottom of the box you will see Item: and then the PLC tagname. Of course you need to have a correctly set up Access Name to that PLC, but that is how the 2 tagnames are linked.

Where are the tags in intouch declared, I want to see all the tags of the intouch that correspond to which tag of the PLC

It's also possible to export the tag database to a .csv file.

Select your application from within InTouch Application Manager, then choose File->DBDump to export.

-Trevor

2022-11-29 15_50_46-Clipboard.png

the in touch tag is “PLC:UNIT.Loop.Purge_water.Tar” and the PLC tag is named “UNIT_G2G2C5C001.Loop.Purge_water.Tar“. Why are they so different in name but linked together, and how is it linked?
This looks like it is the tag configured directly on the graphic element?

InTouch TagNames cannot have ‘:’ or ‘.’ etc
This tag of PLC:UNIT.Loop is bypassing the InTouch tag database & going directly.

PLC will be the configured AccessName, UNIT must be the name of the program task in the PLC

The best practice way, IMHO would be to have the InTouch TagName as ‘G2G2C5C001_WaterPurge_Tar’ or similar, but that is without seeing the RS5K code structure .

Direct tags are useful for getting more tags animated for the license, but they cannot have alarms or trends added.
@OP, what is your runtime license count.?

Last edited:
It's also possible to export the tag database to a .csv file.

Select your application from within InTouch Application Manager, then choose File->DBDump to export.

-Trevor

DBDump won’t work for the tag mentioned by the OP, as is a direct access tag, not a InTouch database tag.
But, it will be a worthwhile exercise so they can see the complete tag database