Studio 5000 V35 coming soon

Some time ago, for cybersecurity reasons, I attended a seminar(Hosted by a cybersecurity professor from a university) which talked about end-to-end verification of the supply chain via chain of custody verification, and I supported that. This seems like an attempt of doing that digitally.
I know this is something that restricts our field, but to me a feature like this gives more fidelity to my system. I don't think I have ever used a non-genuine PLC anyways, but if I had, retrospectively, I would have preferred the software to flag it and stop me and the integrators I'm contracting for machine construction, from using automation via counterfeit equipment.
In my career I have always been the integrator and the end user of the machine, so the outlook might be anecdotal and different than integration houses. But as an end user, I don't think I want to buy from an integrator that doesn't welcome this feature either.
The consequences of counterfeit automation being used for nefarious purposes are just too dire. I don't want to have this kind of risk on my conscience. Even if this is just a feature to target a very small percentage of use cases. It's already crazy how there are PLCs I have been able to go online with over the internet straight(This is not a feature to prevent this failure mode, but just for emphasis) Even though the biggest advantage is probably going to be to Rockwell and improving their bottomline by selling more recent, verified PLCs.

False flags are one thing, I hope that their system is robust enough to prevent this. Also if they do online verification, long-term use might also be sacrificed. So I definitely support localized verification method than an "Always online" system.

Good step towards the right direction imo. Lets see how the implementation is, that'll really make the difference.

Some time ago, for cybersecurity reasons, I attended a seminar(Hosted by a cybersecurity professor from a university) which talked about end-to-end verification of the supply chain via chain of custody verification, and I supported that. This seems like an attempt of doing that digitally.
I know this is something that restricts our field, but to me a feature like this gives more fidelity to my system. I don't think I have ever used a non-genuine PLC anyways, but if I had, retrospectively, I would have preferred the software to flag it and stop me and the integrators I'm contracting for machine construction, from using automation via counterfeit equipment.
In my career I have always been the integrator and the end user of the machine, so the outlook might be anecdotal and different than integration houses. But as an end user, I don't think I want to buy from an integrator that doesn't welcome this feature either.
The consequences of counterfeit automation being used for nefarious purposes are just too dire. I don't want to have this kind of risk on my conscience. Even if this is just a feature to target a very small percentage of use cases. It's already crazy how there are PLCs I have been able to go online with over the internet straight(This is not a feature to prevent this failure mode, but just for emphasis) Even though the biggest advantage is probably going to be to Rockwell and improving their bottomline by selling more recent, verified PLCs.

False flags are one thing, I hope that their system is robust enough to prevent this. Also if they do online verification, long-term use might also be sacrificed. So I definitely support localized verification method than an "Always online" system.

Good step towards the right direction imo. Lets see how the implementation is, that'll really make the difference.

I get what you're saying and you're correct that there are benefits and for most people, finding a fake PLC when sold through Rockwell's official channels is unlikely and shouldn't be an issue having it replaced.

The problem with this is that Rockwell are just too incompetent to be able to do it correctly without causing us grief over genuine parts. Flagging a non-genuine processor is one thing, but downright bricking it with the current supply chain constraints is really asking for trouble.

Then there's the support for said feature... and how they can easily force you to upgrade by dropping support for verification of a processor being genuine or not.

Last step in this chain of events will be PLC as a Service where you never really own it and instead rent it from Rockwell.

Quote: Last step in this chain of events will be PLC as a Service where you never really own it and instead rent it from Rockwell.
Ah... Just another way to extract the last few ml of blood off the customer, wonder how long they will take to go this route.

Then there's the support for said feature... and how they can easily force you to upgrade by dropping support for verification of a processor being genuine or not.
Flagging a (potential) counterfeit is one thing, but I am reminded of when HP pushed a printer firmware update that flagged and rejected ink cartridges just because they were out of warranty.

Even Microsoft doesn't simply brick their OS if it detects it's counterfeit.

Where have they stated this.?

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1130894/loc/en_US

Summary
Identity Mismatch - Contact Tech Support / Missing Vendor Certificate - Contact Tech Support / Bad Vendor Mismatch - Contact Tech Support
Content
Question 1
Why am I getting the following messages scrolling across the LCD display of my controller?

Identity Mismatch - Contact Tech Support
Missing Vendor Certificate - Contact Tech Support
Bad Vendor Certificate - Contact Tech Support

In other words.... if you are not on the nice list we are going to brick your CPU

Last edited: