advantech with Twincat over Parker with Omron CX Supervisor

rock

Have just finished working with a intergrator to replace a Beckhoff CX 1000 unit with a Advantech Industrial Panel. Kept having connection problems with the CX1000 unit, at times would disconnect itself from the internal network, and at times not able to connect laptop pc to unit. It appears the problem was due to fact that the CX1000 does not support page filing. Had to present the unit to coorperate management in order to prove concept and get approval for funding, so trashed the CX1000 for the Advantech.
Kept the Twincat Software for the control of the application, due to cost of the software and appears to be a powerful IEC 61131 package. Looked at also using a CTC Parker unit preloaded with CX Supervisor, but was able to get a quick loaner from Advantech (tech support was very good) in one day in order to present prototype to management.

At the moment using a visual studio.net package for the HMI screens that the integrator developed.Was used to help keep cost down due to not having to pay for run time license fees for additional unts.

Going to possibly build about 300 more the machines and working with the integrator to explore all kinds of options such as advantech with cx supervior and cx programmer, or advantech and still use the Twincat plc software.
Not sure about keeping the Visual Studio.net due to fact that I do not have much experience with the package.
At the moment looking at lots of options.

Was told by Advantech that they will be using there own version of a iec 61131 programming package in the next month or so.
My first experience with using any type of industrial PC product. Most of my experience with PLC and motion control devices.
Any suggestions from others in the industry with experience with these type of control units.

CX-Supervisor is quite inexpensive and is very good for the price. There are some limitations but unless a full powered Citect or something similar is required, it works very well. Powerfull scripting available.

The procedure is that you buy the development package. You then own it and can use it as many times as you wish. Run time licenses are also very inexpensive. You require 1 each time you build a machine.

You can ptotect your investment in software. You only have to place the run time package on each computer. By doing this, CX-Supervisor compiles a run time system for installation into the run time package. The development package is not available on the machine and the program cannot be altered without it.

beerchug

cost comparison

Thanks
This particular application involves quite a extensive database interfacing with the application

The application is running the Twincat PLC software to control the operation of the equipment, using Ianywhere for the database engine and Visual Studio.net for the HMI screens.
This machine pulls information from some dat files that are created by our IT Group that has the criteria for standardss that a product should be tested against and then display the result and allow them to be printed, and then restored up on a network sever for evaluation and use by Product Development and quality control groups.
The database part of the project which is using the ianywhere custom application created by the integrator runs all the time, the best that I can tell, whenever a certain product is selected by entering the product, the database engines which is a relational type database engine, looks at the dat files for the fields that need to be populated for the test results that should be achieved that have been pulled from the network server and stored on the hard drive. Then at anytime, the operator can select to upload all the test results to the network that are stored on the local hard drive.

Am looking at replacing the Twincat Software for the control part of the applicatin with either cx programmer for the machine control and cx supervisor for the hmi scada part of the project, or the advantech hmi/scada software package and automation direct plc for the actual control of the machine.

CX-Supervisor is unlimited tags - very handy. If you use Controller Link it is very fast, serial is quite slow as you probably know. It is also quite happy with any system that has an OPC server - it's native communication with ther devices is OPC.

CX-Server also has a DDE component I think, have never used it as I normally use Controller Link and/or OPC.
beerchug