iFIX is running indicator

russrmartin

Hey all. I have a PC running iFIX talking to a 5555 CLogix processor collecting data. This data is reported for the DNR, so it is imperative that it is collected each day. THe PC is not located near the line I am pulling the data from, so operators cannot visually see that iFIX is running. I wanted to have iFIX send a signal to the PLC 100% of the time that it is running on the PC. The problem I am having is that the PLC will not "see" the bit go to zero since when the computer is shut off etc, it does not actually write a zero into the PLC. Has anyone done anything like this before? I basically need to find a way to "write" a zero into the PLC bit when the computer is shut down. I'm stumped for the time being. \

Russ

I have yet to use a CLX, and know nothing about iFix, so my idea may not be valid... :confused:

Instead of trying to write a zero when the computer is off (which you've found isn't possible), have it write a one when it IS on. In the PLC program, write a zero to this register every 'n' seconds. As long as iFix keeps changing it back to one, you know iFix is alive. When the zero remains there too long, alert the operators.

beerchug

-Eric

my thoughts exactly but.....

This is exactly what I tried to do. When Fix comes up, the original state of the output from FIX to CLX is 1. This indicates that fix is running. However, when I set the bit in CLX to zero, Fix never changes it back until I actually go into fix and toggle the bit off and on again. It's almost like I need to reset the bit in the PLC and toggle the DI every so often. I am just wondering if this is how I should do it, or if anyone else has a great idea how else I can do it.

Use a data change event, I think you could do it in the event scheduler, or if you have a screen that is always up (alarm banner, top banner etc.. ) then you could put it in there. When it see's the tag go false, have ifix write a 1 to the tag.

When writing to a bit in any PLC you need a DO block in FIX.
You have to write to this block to change bit in PLC, it writes only
once for each change. ( as you have seen). You can use a DI block
as a primary block then next block to your DO block ( secondary block)
Use the SIM driver for your DI block ( internal bit location )
Then set DI block scan time to what ever time you want it to write to the PLC ( how offen ). Every time DI block is scanned DO block will write out. Hope this makes sense.

thanks guys

Thank a lot for the ideas guys. Mickey, I think I will try your suggestion first, as it can all be done in Fix. I would like this for future people to be able so see exactly what is going on, rather than having to go to the PLC to see everything. Thanks again guys.

Russ