Ethernet IP to Profinet

junior

Does anyone have any experience with the Ethernet IP to Profinet gateways that are available and are there any brands/models they would recommend?

I need one to get communications going between a ML1400 and a 5 Digitax servo drives which have SM-Profinet adapters. I know that I could change the SM-Profinet adapters to Ethernet IP, but since there are 5, I would imagine the Ethernet IP to Profinet gateway would be cheaper.

TIA

Jr.

I'm not 100% sure, but I have successfully used the 1400 to send ethernet data messages to other AB PLC's and also cognex cameras, so I think it should work with a profinet/ethernet IP gateway converter.

Looks like the ML 1400 does support Ethernet IP.

The Ethernet communication channel, Channel 1, allows your controller to be connected to a local area network for various devices providing 10 Mbps/100 Mbps transfer rate. MicroLogix 1400 controllers support Ethernet/IP with CIP explicit messaging (message exchange), BOOTP/DHCP Client, HTTP Server, SMTP Client, DNS Client, SNMP Server and Socket Interface with CIP Generic messaging. MicroLogix 1400 controllers do not support Ethernet I/O master capability through CIP implicit messaging (real-time I/O messaging)."

I've used the prosoft gateway as a profinet slave/EIP scanner on a siemens plc to control a couple of EIP slaves. It worked very well.

I have seen these question posted many times before. The answer isn't trivial. There are several ways to translate between different protocols.

One way is to take the packet data of the incoming message strip all the un-needed parts and then make a new pack for the new protocol and put the data inside it. I think this is preferred for message type of data.

The other way is to write to do register mapping where data is intercepted by the translator and stored in memory. The other device can read the same registers but using its memory addressing conventions. I think the first method is better.

I wonder what method these gateways use,

No idea Peter - perhaps the Red Lion people may answer. I have used the Red Lion gateway recently and once you get your head around it and get it programmed it works very well. You can even make two Modbus masters talk to each other!

I've had good luck in similar situations with the NetTAP from Hilscher.

Whatever gateway you choose, something important to look at is the internal delay added by the device. Just like your PLC has a scan time and then the RPI, the gateway will have its own internal scan time. It may be plenty fast in many applications, but "fast" varies from machine to machine.

As others have said, though, you may be dead n teh water with the PLC not supporting EIP IO.

Gents, thanks for the responses. From the sounds of it, the Ethernet IP to Profinet wouldn't work with the ML1400 since as Jespoer points out it doesn't support Ethernet I/O. That said, looking at the Hilscher products, the have a Profinet to Modbus TCP. The ML1400 supports Modbus TCP in conjuction with regular ethernet (which I'm using to communicate with a PVP), so this might be a good solution.

It’s important to clarify EtherNet/IP. There are two versions, EtherNet/IP TCP and EtherNet/IP UDP. The TCP version uses message instructions which the MicroLogix 1400 does support. The UDP version is “Produce/Consume” (P/C) which is always open connection that the MicroLogix 1400 does not support. P/C was created for “real time I/O” however because when using it you don’t have to use ladder logic to execute the messaging it has become the popular method of communications even if it’s not I/O data.

It’s important to clarify EtherNet/IP. There are two versions, EtherNet/IP TCP and EtherNet/IP UDP. The TCP version uses message instructions which the MicroLogix 1400 does support. The UDP version is “Produce/Consume” (P/C) which is always open connection that the MicroLogix 1400 does not support. P/C was created for “real time I/O” however because when using it you don’t have to use ladder logic to execute the messaging it has become the popular method of communications even if it’s not I/O data.

This is good info. I wonder which protocol the protocol conversion gateways use.

Produce/Consume is very popular so I’m sure you will be able to find one compatible with it. It will be called either “EtherNet/IP UPD”, “Produce/Consume” or “Implicit messaging”.