M12 shielded connecting

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Many analog sensors come with M12 connection and up to now for own uses and not so crutial meassurements I have used non shielded M12 cabling. Now we are in the process of selling a solution where I wan't to have panel mounted M12 connections in my control panel for the customer to connect to. Also some sensors without M12 I will add M12 connection to.

The most common patch cable I've found has the shield wired to the metall nut connecting the M12 male and female. I don't see how this can be used to a sensor since I don't want to connect the shield to ground at the sensor level.

I've also found that there is foil shielded cables that use the 5th pin as a drain wire. This is sort of what I'm thinking I wan't to use. Then I can do whatever I want with the shielding.

My other solution is going for industrial plugs, like Weidmuller Rockstar series. This may be more versatile but then I also need to make the connection coord (or patch cable) myself, going from the Rockstar outlet to a M12 connection.

Looking for some more experienced users that can guide me what is more commonly used and why?

Thankful for some inputs

/Tim

If you put unshielded plastic M12 connector on your customer side, shield will not be connected at sensor level. You can provide with your equipment two connectors, one plastic on metal, for every sensor and manual how to connect.

If you put unshielded plastic M12 connector on your customer side, shield will not be connected at sensor level. You can provide with your equipment two connectors, one plastic on metal, for every sensor and manual how to connect.

I can do that when the sensor doesn't have M12 built in, but for instance a pressure transmitter we use are of metall and M12 connector is also metall, so no option there. I think the best way is with the drain wire and maintain it myself. But unsure how other solve the issue