MicroLogix 1500 RTD Module

RobertG

R
I’ve been having a hair pulling problem and was hoping someone may have experience in correcting a similar issue.

The PLC is a Micrologix 1500 using a Compact Logix RTD expansion module 1769-IR6. Occasionally the PLC locks up, reporting a major error , IOS data file shows code 379h, "Expansion I/O module 3 generated an error". No errors have ever been reported by modules in locations 1 (1769-OW8, relay output) and 2 (1769-IF4 analog input). Cycling power restarts the PLC and it will run normally for anywhere from 10 weeks to 10 seconds before faulting again. Until the RTD module was released I used a 1769-IF4, analog module, using RTD to 4-20mA signal conditioners, and never had a problem. Current failure rate is about 30%, with replaced modules failing in 50% of those locations.

Any ideas, hints, or inspirations? Does anyone know of comparable installations operating without problems?

Thanks all,
RobertG